D7500 help needed

Hi everyone, Alwaysonauto here, I'm usually over on the Talkemount site since I shoot Sony cameras.
I have a friend over on the other coast that just picked up a lightly used D7500 which I'd found on his local Craigslist and recommended he buy. He also picked up a Nikon Micro-Nikkor 60mm 2.8D AF lens to use with it. He's having trouble getting the lens to auto focus. Since I sent my D7000 off to my sister in Australia earlier this year, I can't help him much. I haven't used a Nikon for about a year+.
What settings does he need to make to the camera to get it to work as a point 'n shoot camera using that lens?
He's very new to photography and is struggling with this 'real camera' as he puts it.
I know it should work great but for some reason it's not.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I don't know that lens, but tell your friend to determine if it has manual focus and auto focus settings. If so, both the camera and the lens need to be set on auto focus. Otherwise, it won't auto focus.

The mechanism for changing the lens between manual and auto focus (if that's possible) may be moving the focusing ring toward and away from the body rather than turning it. The mechanism for changing the camera between the two focusing modes is a lever on the front of the camera that points to either M (for manual focus) or A (for auto focus).

I don't use a point-and-shoot mode but I think the dial on the top left side of the camera should be set to P to make it effectively a point-and-shoot mode. P stands for Program mode.

Confirmation or correction from others about all of that would be helpful.

Last edited:
Make sure the lens is in A (Auto) mode. This is set by a ring that rotates when you hold in the button above Nikon (see next image):
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Next make sure that the limiter is set to Full for general shooting. This is switch on the side of the lens (and the button that lets you rotate from M to A is right above the switch:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And make sure the D7500 is set to auto focus as well. He may also want to make sure the contacts on both the lens and body are clean.

Has he tried any other lenses with the body?

Another thing to do to use it as a point-and-shoot system: Refer to the first photo in the previous post. Turn the aperture ring so the 32 is lined up with the long line as in that photo. Then make sure the aperture ring is locked into position using the tiny switch located between the 4 and 2.8 on the aperture ring.

Best to have your friend read this thread so he has the benefit of the photos in it.

Thanks guys!
I screwed up, it's a D7200 not a D7500, but I think the solutions will still be applicable to his camera.
I sent him the link to this thread too.
Thanks again.
We'll see what develops....(my weak attempt at photographic humor).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom