D780 or Z6 II

I am looking to upgrade my old D750, and am a little torn between getting a D780 to Z6 II with the adapter. Anyone else had this question and which way did you go. Seems prices are similar down here so that is not the issue
I'll be interested in this one too, although I didn't really get on with the Z6. My 750 was/is a refurb and I've been wondering whether to replace it just to get extra longevity although I've no reason to suspect it's going to pack up on me. I'm dithering over whether to go 780 or, for half the price, just get a new 750. The improved video of the 780 means nothing to me, nor does the improved live view because I would need my specs on to see the screen - something I try to avoid doing. If I was to go mirrorless I think I would be taking a look at the Canon R6. (!)

I recently picked up a Z6 II kit as an addition to my D750 and D500 bodies. I am now thinking of parting with the D750. For the things I shoot I prefer the Z6 II. The bright EVF helps me in dim situations and for macro subjects. When I pick up the D750 everything looks dark and feels clunky. I was initially worried the Z6 II couldn't work as a back-up wildlife kit as the D750 has. I seldom shoot birds in flight or fast-moving wildlife anyway. So, up to this point it has worked fine. I would say it depends on what you shoot and how the camera feels to you. It works for me.

I've not considered that exact choice but have been wrestling with the issue of whether to continue down the DSLR road or go mirrorless. IMO it's reached a point that unless there is some disqualifying feature(or lack of) for the type of photography that you do mirrorless is the route to go. Some don't like the EVF or the ergonomics of the mirrorless bodies. Others rave about the EVF and the fact that it is visual feedback of exposure(i.e.WYSIWYG) Each of us have to make that personal determination. IMO the single biggest drawback of the DSLR is the mirror mechanism and added complexity associated with it. For landscape shooting some of that is overcome by shooting in live view mode and silent(aka electronic) shutter. It's also more difficult to clean the sensor, tuning issue with lenses etc, due to the mirror mechanism and separate focus sensor. If I didn't shoot a lot of fast action/BIF I'd go mirrorless. Unfortunately Nikon still hasn't got the AF in the mirrorless bodies up to snuff so for fast focus needs it's a no go. Kind of ironic since they've historically been known for superior AF in DSLRs. The good news is that either choice is a good one.

Last edited:
I was "pushed" into the mirrorless camp by vision issues, with retinal surgeries that were only partially successful.
I could see better with the evf. I could increase the brightness and contrast to a point I could again see, compose and confirm focus through the viewfinder. Made it a no brainer- and actually a hobby saving switch.
The switch over is not seamless. It took about 6weeks of shooting nothing but mirrorless for everything to settle down. What I am saying, I do not think you can rent a mirrorless camera for a week and decide if it works for you or not- you really need to give it time.
Personally, I would not go back to dslr- but that is just me.
For my images, the wysiwyg changes things, and makes difficult lighting decisions fall down easy.
My sony a7riv does not have focus as fast as my d4- but I have learned to adapt. The new A1 may help that.
Good luck with your quest. There really is no wrong answer.
gary

Real Name
Andrew
I am looking to upgrade my old D750, and am a little torn between getting a D780 to Z6 II with the adapter. Anyone else had this question and which way did you go. Seems prices are similar down here so that is not the issue
We'd need to know what the intended purpose is for to be able to have a better dialog on the situation.

Nikon mirrorless is close to the AF of the D750, but not quite to D500/D5/D6 levels yet.
If you plan on shooting any kind of erratic sports movement or need all day, 1000+ shot battery life and don't need a blackout fee EVF, then the DSLR is still king here for the time being.
If you don't really shoot any of that - then the benefits of mirrorless will be apparent and worth the upgrade to it IMHO. Despite a lot of people not wanting to use the FTZ, I find that the FTZ works great for me and never hesitate to use it when I want to use my Tamron 70-200/2.8 G2, Nikon 70-300/4.5-5.6E AF-P or 300/4 PF lenses. All work as if they were native.

I kept my D750 for a few months after getting a Z6, but soon realized that I would not be using it much any more, so I sold it. I don't often take photos of fast-moving subjects.

The advantages of mirrorless are just too great for me to go back. Mirrorless is the future, so I wanted to start the transition while my DSLR gear still has some value.

Real Name
Randy
IMO the way to go is clearly mirrorless but if you go Nikon mirrorless and you shoot predominately things that can move fast, like birds or soccer players (I shoot sports and wildlife) then the AF on the mirrorless won't compare in initial acquisition time and tracking. My Z6 is a joke compared to my D5 but they are thousands apart. I think Sony and Canon have great AF systems on their mirrorless bodies

Sensor performance between the two is identical:
PDR
If you have G lenses, they perform just as well (and in some cases better) using the FTZ. You list some 3rd party lenses and I'm not sure on their compatibility - others will have more experience in using those.

But really one of the major reasons to move to the Z line is the Z lenses almost every one of which outperforms their f-mount equivalent. That is, the Z mount gives you access to better glass.

I have friends whom have dumped their DSLR (Landscape shooters) and went with the Z, sold all their other gear, but still the native glass for the Z is not cheap.. they say its GREAT and super sharp, but again, its not cheap 4 sure. I have a Z6 and the native 24-200 as my hiking and go to body.. I have my D500 for BIF but will probably sell my D750.

Real Name
Andy
Two things that I really miss when I pick up my D750:
  1. WYSIWYG for exposure
  2. Edge to edge AF points
Those two features are like power windows in my car. I did OK before, but it's hard to go back once you've gotten used to having them.

Real Name
Mike
I've enjoyed reading this post.
Ken Rockwell with strong opinions likes the D780 better. I have no opinion, but he makes a case.

Real Name
Andy
Ken Rockwell with strong opinions
KR certainly has strong opinions, and very well considered ones. I have followed him for a long time, and even corresponded via email. Based on all this, I do think he lives in the past a bit. I still have DSLRs, but I am more prepared to sell than upgrade them, as I have my eyes on the future. Just my two cents' worth.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom