D7K video questions... yes, including a mic question :)

Ok, let's get the mic questions out of the way first... ;) I've researched, and I'm going to be fine with a hotshoe mounted mic for my limited purposes and price point (max $200). But, which one to choose? There are more than enough confusing choices with Rode alone! EEK! Suggestions? (PS - shotgun mic, I think, is my best bet)

So, a thought I had with getting the mic off the camera to mitigate the focus noise: I have a CB Wedding flash bracket that I bought years ago and rarely use... would mounting the mic up on that help to further dampen the noise? I'm not too concerned about a minimal amount of AF noise, but if this is an easy, effective, and basically free way to make it better, I'd try it...

Final question: again, I've researched but can't find a specific answer, which might actually be my answer, but, is there any difference in video quality by switching settings from RAW to JPEG? Does that change affect video quality? (I suspect not, but that the video quality is set independently...)

Anything else major or important I need to know in general about shooting video with the D7K? So far, I've pretty much just left everything as much "auto mode" as possible, so I might be missing something important. I have played with the focus (auto vs. manual) and for now, I'm better off with auto for my main uses... It's currently the best video camera I've got and will be for the near future, so I might as well make the best of it. :)

What. What? RAW video? That's news to me!

A movie file in .NEF format?

Did I miss a memo?

As for a mic, I use a $25 lav plugged into my cell phone. I record a separate audio track with that and match the two tracks in post.

Did I miss a memo?

As for a mic, I use a $25 lav plugged into my cell phone. I record a separate audio track with that and match the two tracks in post.
Yeah, well, mock if you want, I know nothing about video! :)

What I do know is that the last thing I have time for is more editing and messing around in software. I just want to record nice video with better sound than the stock microphone on the camera, and call it good. Drag it to wherever on my computer and watch it, or listen to it, or share it. :) That's it... no matching tracks, etc. Just roll with what I got.

Yeah, well, mock if you want, I know nothing about video! :)

What I do know is that the last thing I have time for is more editing and messing around in software. I just want to record nice video with better sound than the stock microphone on the camera, and call it good. Drag it to wherever on my computer and watch it, or listen to it, or share it. :) That's it... no matching tracks, etc. Just roll with what I got.
If taking 10 seconds to match up two audio tracks is too much work, there's tons of cheap shotguns on ebay every day. I couldn've spent $100+ on a top-end lav, but bought a $17 job and so far no one has commented about the audio in my work.

Did I miss a memo?

RAW video , but that's the D7100
"Like all of its recently released higher-end siblings, the D7100 offers the ability to record uncompressed video over its HDMI port. For video professionals, the benefits of shooting uncompressed video are analogous to the benefits of shooting in high bit-depth Raw mode for stills - greater latitude in post-production with regard to color grading. Whether using HDMI-enabled output to record the highest possible quality footage or to simply use an external monitor as viewfinder, this is a feature that is becoming more common, with rival Canon having announced this capability for its EOS 5D Mark III DSLR via a forthcoming firmware update.

Uncompressed video can only be sent to an external recorder that's connected to the D7100's HDMI port. Uncompressed footage is enormous, so it makes sense that you're prevented from recording it straight to your SD card. Unfortunately though, you cannot record 1080p video to the SD card as a 'safety' backup while recording to the external HDMI device simultaneously. Whenever video is recorded to the card, the HDMI output drops to 720p. We'd like to see the option to record full HD alongside the uncompressed footage."

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom