D80+70-300VR or D200 body only ?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by antsplan, May 11, 2007.

1. Simple as that - I can get a deal where the D80 and 70-300VR lens will be roughly the same price as a D200 body.

Any opinions ?

I currently own D50 and whilst this will last me a good bit longer due to the level I'm at, I have a wee bit of spare cash for now ?

Thanks in advance.

2. I suppose for me it would come down to what other lenses you already own. I have a D50, I then spent some time collecting some good lenses, then I moved on to a D200. It is a fantastic machine and I love using it, it just feels really good to work with. I looked at the D80 and it just wasn't then same, and having used the D200 for a while now I am soooooo glad I decided to spend the extra. But part of the reason I love using the D200 so much is that I have some great glass to work with too.

I am no expert in this subject, I just thought I share my experience with you.

By the way jessops do buy now pay 12 months :biggrin: Get a D200 and a 70-300VR :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Good luck in your decision.

Andy

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    D200 70-300VR or maybe the 55-200 VR

4. Neil M.

Neil M. Guest

I have the D200 and the 70-300VR. To be honest, and it could just be my lack of talent, I am not too impressed so far with the 70-300. Knowing what I think I know now, I would go for the D200 and build from there.

5. You definitely want the 70-300VR!! It is one of Nikon's bargains of all times. Some photos with it on my D200.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have my original D70 and then bought the D200 and now use the D70 as a backup.

All the best
    Nancy

6. Neil M.

Neil M. Guest

Nancy,

Your shots prove beyond any shadow of a doubt that I lack talent! Were the bird shots taken hand held or with a tripod?

7. Thanks Neil :smile: . They were taken handheld. Just go out and practice with it. That is what I did. Although I have been taking pics for a long time with lens without the benefit of VR so I guess I am using the techniques practiced over time. Give the VR a second to kick in and it should produce for you. I keep my 300 2.8 on the tripod and use the 70-300VR for walkaround, handholding use.

Cheers
    Nancy

8. Neil M.

Neil M. Guest

Nancy,

Thanks for the advice. It must be me, as I read elsewhere that this is a good lens and your photos prove it.

9. All, firstly a big thanks for all your advice :biggrin:

I went to the shop this evening and held both cameras in my hand.

Both felt great, I really can see what others say about the feel of the D200 - it was great. I'll be honest though I felt ever so daunted by the D200 and questioned whether the outlay, at my stage of photography for the added benefits were actually worth it for me.

Seeing your pictures and others from another thread I was really desperate to get the VR lens and so in the end decided that the lens and D80 combo was best for me. I just couldnt justify the extra cost of the D200. By the time I outgrow the D80 - (if ever), I'm certain there will be something to overtake the D200 and I'll buy that then.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase. I bought both from Jessops and they price matched to the cheapest price I could find available in any of the mainstream UK photo magazines. Jessops are slightly more expensive but in the end I saved quite a bit and I have the piece of mind that I can return the goods should a fault develop within a 10 minute drive from my house. :biggrin:

Thanks again.

PS Nancy, lovely shots !!!!! I hope that one day I can emulate these.

10. Larty

Larty

Apr 12, 2007
    U.S.A.
    I shot with the D80 for a couple months, and found out I prefer
    5fps over 3fps and also much prefer buttons on the outside
    rather than digging into the menu.

Got the D200, sold the D80, also gained a little bit extra high
    ISO noise along with it all, but there ain't no lookin' back!
    Just my opinion.

If you don't need the faster FPS, D80 should do just fine.

11. Thank you Anthony:smile: . I think you have made a great decision. The D80 will do you just fine, and that lens will give you much enjoyment. Now, what you need to do is GET OUT and shoot, practice and practice. My first digital camera was the D70, which I still use, and which made the transition to the D200 so much easier. Have fun and keeps us updated. Any questions do not hesitate to ask. :biggrin:

cheers
    Nancy

12. dave58

dave58 Guest

The D200 is a fine body and all the camera most users will need. I would, however, favour spending any available funds on glass. Lenses make a much bigger impact on our photography and have a much longer lifespan in our kit bags than DSLR's that are continually superseded with the next new model.
    I'm sure you won't be disappointed with any of the above choices but the best investment IMHO is lenses.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2007
  13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I would rather grow with and into a camera and spend once than grow out of a camera in 3-6 months and lose money:>)))) buying another camera