D80 and D200 identical RAW?

Hi,

can anyone who has used both cameras comment on differences between their RAW files in terms of noise and color rendition.
I know that the compression options are different, and the metering and the jpg engine...

What I'm interested in knowing is if working with the RAW files I can expect identical results when applying hte same workflow?

Thanks.

Don't know specifically about the D80 and D200, but generally the answer to your question is "no you cannot, not by a long shot." I have compared the output of the D70 and D200 for identical images taken seconds apart with identical settings, and found that the D70 images are A LOT warmer than the D200. I had to set the D70 to "cloudy+1" to match the output of the D200 set to "cloudy-2". Aperture, shutter speed, white balance, and all the image options were set the same.

From what I understand, the sensor data still passes through some sort of DSP before its written in a RAW file, so unless the D80 and D200 share the exact 100% same A/D converters and DSP, odds are it'll look a bit different.

Hi,

can anyone who has used both cameras comment on differences between their RAW files in terms of noise and color rendition.
I know that the compression options are different, and the metering and the jpg engine...

What I'm interested in knowing is if working with the RAW files I can expect identical results when applying hte same workflow?

Thanks.
I guess that depends on your definition of "identical". Off the top of ones head you can say the D-80 and D-200 use essentially the same sensor, but "essentially" and "identical in every way" are not the same. As you already know, there are some differences, but I would bet that outside of laboratory conditions a similar RAW work flow would result in images that are "essentially" the same.

Disclaimer: I'm not sure what "essentially" actually means.:biggrin:

The D80 and D200 have the same fabbing process but the D80 has a two channer readout and the D200 4 channel, so largely similar but nor the same.

I shot the D80 and the D200 side by side with the same lens. The raw files are very difficult to tell apart. I did not play around with applying the same settings in a workflow, though. Sorry.

The D80 RAW files use always lossy compression, there is no "uncompressed" or "lossless" mode available. Long story short, the uncompressed D200 RAW file will always have more information and no, the files will not be identical.

Thanks everyone for your answers.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm struggling with my 4 month old D300, since I'm not getting the skintones I like, no matter how hard I try.
I'm seriously considering a CCD based camera, which should give me the the type of color and tone response I'm used to coming from the D50, but with a better AF system and CLS.
I just wanted to confirm that for my non-professional use the RAW files would be extremely close in color rendition and tone.
I guess I'll end up with a D200, since the price difference has shrunk, and the D200 feature set is better.

Thanks again.

C

chinesestunna

The D80 RAW files use always lossy compression, there is no "uncompressed" or "lossless" mode available. Long story short, the uncompressed D200 RAW file will always have more information and no, the files will not be identical.

Just like D70 vs. D100. But on a related note, can someone show me the difference in result for compressed vs. uncompressed NEFs from a D200? I've shot both and can't tell the difference for the life of me - believe me, I've looked everywhere and am very anal about tonality/noise etc.

Latest threads

Top Bottom