D80 and D300 Noise question

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by kungfooren, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

I went back to look at the dpreviews of the D80 and D300 (mostly to try to justify buying the D300) and noticed something interesting about the noise graphs. You guys probably picked this up already, but there is a dip is noise around ISO800.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond300/page18.asp
    [​IMG]

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/page18.asp
    [​IMG]

Let's say I'm shooting indoors on my D80. From this alone, I'd rather shoot at ISO 800 than 300-800 (since the camera noise reduction kicks in around there)...

Any advice or comments? How do you take that dip into consideration? Thanks.

-jeff

2. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I'll have to try more experimenting with ISO 800

3. Interesting observation, but like Dave, I think I would want to experiment with my actual camera to verify. Sample-to-sample variations do occur, but the consistency of the result between D300 and D80 suggests that it might be something in the Nikon firmware.

4. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Jeff I have the D300 and yes that is the news that the noise reduction kicks in at 800. I shoot a lot at 800 ISO, works great!

5. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    I didn't know that. I shoot at 400 or 640 indoors a bit, and because of noise issues have wanted to get the D300. I will have to try to shoot at ISO 800 now!

6. grepmat

grepmat

May 5, 2008
    USA
    The dip is because the camera kicks in some fairly serious noise reduction at ISO 800. It's not actually better or preferred, just a different trade-off, and one that some would say is worse, while others are happy with.

7. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Yup, and you'll notice a slight loss of detail at this point, as well. Like you say, some prefer the detail and are less noise-sensitive than others. I fall into that camp but others like the smoother noise-free look that seems so common in the digital world.

8. Does the noise reduction affect the RAW images? I thought that it was only applied to Jpegs. I suspect this because when looking at my RAW shots through Lightroom, ISO800 is noticeably noisier than 400.

Thanks.

9. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    Also on the menu for the D80 we have: NR low, NR normal, and NR high.... I had it set to normal, and just changed it to high.... I suppose that makes a slight difference.