D80 and some of it's features, what's your take on it?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by LindaZ, Aug 6, 2007.

1. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I've read the manual and tried different settings.

For example, the in-camera NR for high ISO. Is this something that is recommended or should I stick to software to reduce noise?

There's many auto this and that in the camera, but should I rather use "whatever" settings? I set the contrast to -1 for better editing in PS, some of my images comes out too contrasty otherwise.

Any tips in general as to functions in the camera?

Thanks!

2. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    I tend use none noise-reduction when I shoot .jpg and do my noise-reduction with noise ninjas stand-alone version. I think it keeps the detail better in the shoots.

www.picturecode.com/

It is relative cheap, I use mostly when doing prints that are 20X30 inches. But for internet use, I just let adobe lightroom do the noise. In webusage I think the gain is so small as the photos are shrunk down detail and noise is never a issue.

I like to use Nikons Color mode IIa when shooting jpegs. For fast turn around in images

In RAW I just lets Lightroom do it most, just noise ninja and kekus perspective correction.

I just upgraded to CS3, thou Lightroom is more fun and nicer to work with. I only spend time in photoshop that probaly is more a printshop for me nowdays ;-)

I kinda agree, I think the photos are bit contrasty in "auto" mode, so use the same setting.

If you like to work with your photos alot I really recommend use RAW. Editing is less destructive. I find that jpegs can sometimes hold together a bit less if you are doing some heavy edits. I mostly shoot RAW, but I kinda limit to myself to 2-3 subjects per shooting session.

3. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank you for your input.. Sune.. oh hej, just realized you're a Swede. hej hej, hemskt mycket hej.

Anyway, I actually don't like the edit part so much, so I try to get everything as right as possible in camera. I don't have Lightroom, but CS2 and when I am lazy I use it's noise reduction. I also have Noiseware.

RAW is more space than I can handle , both card wise and computer. lol

Well, if I am too shoot something to sell as a print, I would probably do that.

ok, now I am rambling.

Ciao

4. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'm not a pro. My camera is purely for my enjoyment.

I took a class where the instructor said, in essence, "here's what your camera will do for you (provide default settings that very often get you some pretty darn good snapshots). Now, here's what your camera will do *to* you (provide defaultl settings that will get in the way of you getting some spectacular photos)!

And he spent the rest of the class (6-week class) showing us how to override all the auto settings.

That was before I had my D80. But the ongoing lesson I learned from that class is to take the time to play with each of my settings, and run it through its "range", and see what it will do.

And now, when I'm in vacation mode and I'm happy with "pretty good snapshots" so I'm happy to use default settings. Knowing that I can override them when I choose to try for something closer to "spectacular".

Summary: Play with each of your settings in turn. Find out what they can do. Then use them when you want them.

5. qilin

qilin

Jul 22, 2007
    NJ, USA
    oddstray is absolutely right. I am also new to D80, my first dSLR. I found Thom Hogan's book very helpful. He explains all the custom settings and his preference. However, if you check out other people's preferences, like Ken Rockwell's, you can see the experts can have different opinions. Guess you still have to decide yourself what to do with your own camera - I gather even different copies of the same D80 model can have different performance?

That said, I would love to see you guy's favorite settings too (and why?). Please enlighten us.

6. If you folks email me. I can send you an Excel spreadsheet with various settings for the D80.

7. I looked at the D80 very closely as a second system to my D200. A fine camera that serves pros and amateurs well. It's a top seller everywhere. Go to DPReview and do a side-by-side comparison (one of the nicest features of that site) of it with the D200, D2X, and D50. You'll be impressed.

8. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for your inputs, I'll email you Ray.

9. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    Linda,

Fun with american that speak swedish. Well we swedes are spread over world even beeing such a small country.

I really recommend Thom Hogans ebook, only bad thing I can say it is a ebook. But it really helped me to understand the D80s settings. He really explains the whole camera. So you dont have to know so much before reading.

I checked your blog, thought you nailed the colors very good.

Cheers,
    Daniel
    ps. http://www.bythom.com ds.

10. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I am going to be a bit of a sourpuss (?) and thinks an ebook for $30 seems about $24.95 too much. So I am gonna do it the hard way and do as Oddstray suggested.

Thank you for your compliment, the D80 also does it better than my old Canon 350D, but then I also learned how to do the droppers in curves adjustment layer.

It is true Daniel, you can always find at least one Swedish person wherever you go. Must be that restless viking spirit.

I named my daughter Freya. teehee

I highly recommend to visit at least a few American national parks in your lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007
  11. Thom Hogan's eBook is well worth the money and then some. I learned so much about my D80 from that. I tend to agree more with Thom's recommendations that I do with Ken Rockwell's for most things.

12. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    I spent a week in states this summer, everglade, new oreleans, orlando. Also some park I forgot the name off. I loved New Oreleans it was very walker friendly town, which I am used too. Orlando I felt spent most my time parking and driving my rental. Not so much off my interest in the town. Spent most my time in everglade.

I like the states, it is like many mini countries in one country.

I read up on where swedish people live in world. Heh, most swedes live outside off sweden. I blaim the swedish winter for that.

Thom Hogans book is worth the money. I cant think off anything he doesnt get into detail on the camera from sharpening to different flash techniques. It is big, 700 pages or something. I guess he took the decision to release as ebook as printing cost are big for this small genre off books.

13. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Okay then, I may look into the book at some point later on.

Thank you for your inputs, and the spreadsheet that I got from Ray.