D80 and sports photography

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by redemptioncalls, Apr 23, 2007.

1. there is a chance that i will be my high schools photographer next year. i want to know if will be able to make half decent sports images with my brand new d80?

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The quick answer is yes, you will get good shots. The question is what sports do you plan to shoot and what exactly to you have in the way of gear to shoot with? If you are using the 18-200mm VR and expecting the Bigma, you will probably not get decent shots during low light sports action. Indoors, you can do okay with a flash or remote strobes when shooting sports that allow flash photography.

3. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    You should be fine--The D80 is a great camera
    What Lenses do you have???? It really all comes down to the glass you are using--Will you be shooting night games ?? inside poorly lit gyms??

4. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Used my D70 for a few years doing just that so the D80 should be fine.

What you will need is faster glass. From cheapest to not:

Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D New or used
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM New or used
    Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-S used only, no longer made
    Sigma 100-300 f4 HSM rarely ever see used for sale
    Nikon 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR
    Sigma 120-300 f2.8 HSM

5. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    I agree...IMO glass makes more difference than camera...I got some good photos last basketball season with a D50 and Nikon 85 1.8....

6. That's a nice, compact list of all the stuff I'm considering for better sports shooting. Thanks.

7. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    redemptioncalls, what highschool in missouri. I am in college in Missouri right now, Truman State.

I use my D80 for all of our college sports, and it works great!

Blake

8. Know your subject

Good advice on equipment above, however the most important factor will be your knowledge of your subject, event, sport etc. The more you understand what is happening (more importantly about to happen) the more likely you will get good results. Also practice, practice practice and don't be afraid to fail, failure is good, not learning from it is bad.
    Best regards,

Brooks

9. i go to Rock Bridge in columbia. i plan on shooting some football, basketball and wrestling. the worst loghting is wrestling for sure. i will eventually invest in a sb 600 or 800. is the nikon 80-400 vr any good? ui plan on using the 18-200 vr in basketball. i know its not going to be that great for football, i need something linger for football most likely.

im also reconsidering the bigma.

10. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    Yeah you are right down the street then
    I wrestle up here at Truman
    my fiancee does all of the photography for our team
    she uses the d80, 80-200 f/2.8, and an sb-600
    here are all the photos from this year
    http://blakepetersonphoto.com/wrestlingphotos

11. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I would go with a 35 F2.0, 50 1.4, or 85 1.8 if you are going to be shooting inside sports type shots. 2.8 really isnt fast enough.

12. Geo31

Geo31 Guest

I used to think it was all about the glass. Then someone on Fred Miranda posted two pix from the same day, same event, same vantage point, same lens. They were of a dog trial where the dogs slalom through gates. One was shot with a D70 and the other with a D2H. OMG, I would NEVER have believe a body could make that much difference. The image quality (especially focus) was noticeably better with the D2H. There is one in my future, less megapixels be damned.

13. i dunno if i said this, but i wrestle too

14. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    That's awesome. It is great to meet people who share the love for the sport (and nikon photography to boot) When I was in high school, 2004 graduate of Central High School in St. Joseph, we used to come down to the RockBridge "Tournament of Champions". It used to be a very tough tournament, but due to some of the bigger KC and St. Louis tournaments I think the competition dropped off a little toward my last year. I remember being mad at my coach my senior year because we didn't go to Rockbridge and I would have been the first 4-time RockBridge champ, haha. I remember that seeming like a bigger deal to me back then, but doesnt seem like it anymore.

Is Travis Craig still coaching down there? We used to wrestle together, he was a senior when I was a freshman, and we used to workout and train in the summers at Oak Park. Tell him I, Blake Peterson, said hi.

Blake

even though this thread has taken a different turn, I hope you have come to the conclusion that your D80 is a great sports body, It is the glass that makes the difference. Also some flash can make a world of difference if it is allowed.