D80-D200 Difference

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Zeeman, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Zeeman

Zeeman Guest

Can anyone tell me the difference between the D80 and the D200 they are both 10.2, I understand the D200 has more buttons and switches for easier settings than the D80 but is there a big difference in picture quality.. I like to do sports and portorits..

Tks Steve

2. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    They do have a different jpg engine, so if you're a jpg shooter there will be differences... If you shoot RAW from what I've been told, there are differences, but probably not noticeable to the untrained eye.
    Their matrix metering algorithm seems very different also. The D80 exposes much hotter.

3. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Even JPEGs are very similar though, for all intents and purposes the image quality from both are the same. The metering is better in the D200 though, which will affect image quality.

4. Build quality, d200 much better than d80. Sports use, D80 is limited, slow "clean" sports. i.e., you wont find it much uuse at outdoor fast moving ball games in poor conditions.

Portrait wise, both can be made to produce very simular results. If sports is a factor, its d200.

5. prob

not enough there to consider between the two. The D80 has the advantage of newer technology, the D200 does have an amazing meter.

6. Things going for the D200 given your stated shooting preferences, other than the obvious flexibility added by the extra configurable options
    1) Better AF - important if you are going to shoot action sports
    2) MUCH better meter. In fact, the metering is one of the few reasons why I do not own the D80. This will not be too much of an issue for sports, where the tendency of the D80 matrix meter to act more like a hybrid between a spot meter and a center-weighted meter may actually produce OK results most of the time
    3) Faster frame rate - important for sports
    4) An extra AF-ON button, may be handy for action sports. I believe it is possible to reproduce this behavior on the D80 by setting the AE/AF lock button to "AF ON" and setting the shutter to release priority
    5) Weather-sealed, if you are a masochist and shoot sports in the rain
    6) Did I mention that the meter on the D80 sucks BIG TIME?

Things going against the D200:
    1) Big and heavy. I never got used to this aspect
    2) Because of size does not balance well with small lenses. Shooting with a small prime mounted on a D200 is downright awkward, IMO. Even with the 70-200 I found the balance not easy to manage, since you need a firm grasp on both the body and the lens
    3) See #1.... again. This is why I sold my D200, never got used to the weight. Lugging it around all day long is a pain in the a**, it really is not a camera that travels well when you are not on a dedicated photo vacation.

I am sure that the opinion on weight will draw fire from people who feel that the D200 presents the perfect balance of size and weight, but this is my opinion and I am entitled to it :biggrin:

7. Can't really tell you anything about the D80 since I've never used one, but the above comment is funny. I'm always carrying the D200, wherever I go. It doesn't feel heavy or cumbersome to me - in fact I most often have also the grip on it :eek:  And I'm mostly using primes in the range of 30-85 with it. For me, this combo feels perfectly balanced.

I had to send the D200 to Nikon last week, and I've been using the D50 instead, and it feels like a silly toy after being used to the D200.

Just my honest opinion on the size of the D200 :biggrin: I know there are some who feel differently, but I had to express my opinion too.

8. Another things that is NOT favourable for the D200 is battery life. When using the D200 with 70-200VR I get about 3-400 shots when VR is used a lot. Without VR I get about 4-500. I don't used the LCD that much (image is not displayed after the shot). Using non-VR lenses adds some shots but I didn't get more than about 600 shots from a single battery charge.

On my D70 I would get about 6-700 shots when VR used and about 7-800 when not used. I managed to get about 1000 shots on a single charge with my Sigma 18-50/70-300 combo.

But, because of all the other pros I'm very happy with my D200.

9. I have not used VR on either my d80 or d200, but with both plus "normal" lens I get 600-800+ shots every session. This is with image review on and used quite a bit.

10. At least he tried to give a review given experience of half the question, the post seems to me to be of more use than yours, which seems quite rude. Not something one has noticed much on this forum.

11. Of course. The orignal poster will have to "try before buy"

Then he should go buy a D2h!!!

12. Nobody has mentioned the main reason I got a D200 as an upgrade from a D70. The D200 will meter with non CPU lenses where the D70 (and D80) will not. I also don't feel the D200 to be heavy. I think it's just about right and the D80 (I have handled one) maybe a bit on the light side for my taste.

Ronnie

13. [removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  14. The D80 is prob 95% of the camera the D200 is in many respects. One of my biggest reasons for purchasing the D200 the meter (yep it's that simple). I hate the D50s meter, Nikon royaly screwed up their metering system after the D200/D2X came to market and every camera since seems to have problems with overexposure. The problem is is that their just isn't a good workaround to fix the metering issues. You can't just leave the camera at a negative EV value because Matrix just doesn't play well with EV adjustments. I love my D50, but after 2 years of ownership I just couldn't find an easy fix for the meter - i ended up shooting RAW and using curves to get things right. The D200 or the other hand (and I am not talking this up, i am being very honest here) is about perfect, seriously. The D200 strikes the perfect balance between retaining highlights and shadows. I have put this camera under very difficult conditions and the meter always get's it right. It might not matter to some, but for me this means I don't check the histogram anymore and I don't spend time in Capture or ACR trying to get things right. It just makes shooting a breeze and I now focus on composition, lighting, etc and not on the shortcomings of the camera.

The D200 isn't a perfect camera in many respects, high ISO isn't something it does well, but the meter is stunning, and getting exposure right is extremely important to me. I can't compare the D80s meter, but i did compare the D50s meter and it's night and day.

15. When I participated as a pool photographer at a charity event, I noticed an interesting thing.

The Loaner Equipment from Nikon Consisted of D2xs, D2hss, D70Ss, D80s, and a pair of D200s- about a dozen cameras in all.

The least used cameras were the D200s. Most of the photographers (of all skill levels and experiances) were shooting with a D2 ( x or h) with a D70 or 80 as back up, and it seemed the 'backups' were getting the most use.

Across the board, the D70s's produced the most standout keepers.

The D200s seemed to just be passed over- maybe too little to be big, too big to be little?

16. Simon, wouldn't you agree that the focus speed and tracking are superior on the D2h over the D200? This is one of the reasons I sold my D200 to get a D2h for sports shooting. I can get 800 or more shots on a single battery shooting L Jpegs on my D2h no problem.

17. They were working on the bigger is better theory, so they went for the cameras with grips. It gives them a pro look :rolleyes: .

Sure. Once you're carrying a big pro body, you want the lightest possible backup.

It's easier to get good results from a low res camera.

They didn't know what they were missing :wink:.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.