1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D80 - for a second

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corwyn, Jun 29, 2008.

1. So I've been contemplating buying a second body and as much as I would like a D300 I just don't see it budget wise.

So my thought was to buy one of the many d200s coming on the market, but after reading the reviews and looking at the specs at Ken's and dpreview I feel like the D80 seems to make the most sense financially.

I currently have a D40 and I want to upgrade because of the lens compatibility issues. I feel like I would get a much bigger bang for the buck investing the difference in lenses than getting the d300 body and being tapped out. Likewise I don't see any major feature between the d80 and the d200 that I would miss and would rather invest that money into higher quality glass.

If you own one or the other or both, could you share your thoughts so I don't make a mistake by overlooking something.

Thanks.

2. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    It might help to describe what you're looking for in a second body. I've seen used D200s going for $800s these days, so that's only about ~$150-$200 more than a used D80.

3. jerry,

Mostly I do landscape, but candids and portraits as well. My son is developing an interest in photography which I want to encourage. He will be spending 2 weeks in Sequoia National park where his aunt is a geologist, so I want to pass the D40 to him since he will get a once in a lifetime kind of tour of a national treasure. As I explained, while I would like the d300, financially it makes more sense to go to a D80, which I have seem used, but in good condition for as low as $300 around me while d200 are still in the high 8's.

Again, the upgrade is for the fact that I can buy comparable glass for a d80 for half the price then the d40 (with AF) does that make more sense.?

4. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    I was contemplating the same thing last year and decided to go with the D200 mainly because of the weather sealing and better build quality. If you hold both cameras in your hands you'll see what I'm talking about.

5. Between a gently used D80 and a normal (< 15,000 clicks) used D200 the price discrepency is not too far off. D200 are tested at 10 times of that. From having both,
    D200 just feels like a solid built tool. The D80 is great and I would love to have as a second body. The CF and SDHC cards is a bit of a concern though.

6. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

why do you need a second body.if i had any less camera as a second camera id never use it unless i had too.i dont get the back up camera trend?if i needed another camera id have to get the same exact copy of what i had.

7. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    I have a backup to my D200 just in case anything happens. For example lets say I had to send it in for repair and I wanted to go out and shoot, I would grab the D40. Or lets say that I'm going to a family picnic/party and I don't want/need to carry the D200 with me, I use the D40.

8. To me, D80s are much like well endowed toys, D200s feel and act more like serious gear.

9. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I have the D80 as my primary - for similar reasons - to invest in glass, flashes, etc. It didnt make sence for me to go with the 200 - and if you have a 200 already the only problem is the memory card difference.

10. LG100

LG100

Dec 28, 2007
    Texas, USA
    I've had the D80 for six months now and love it!

I was working under the constraints of a starving artist's budget and could not stretch the extra couple of hundred bucks at the time for a D200 so I basically sold the (exceedingly meager) farm and bought as much DSLR as I could afford........Thus, I've not spent any time behind a D200. This much being said, however, my experience with the D80 thus far has been consistent with some of the customer reviews you'll see with some regularity which complain about a certain "finicky-ness". Indeed, I've gotten a fair amount of wonderful....breathtaking....shots with this camera under the worst of circumstances -- times when I've had to whip around backward while riding in the passenger seat on a bumpy road, etc etc etc seem to have been the times when this camera has shined the brightest. Conversely, the shots I've planned and calculated and done everything I could think of to "get right" have a tendency to range from lackluster to downright horrible. I'm getting better with the D80 but it's not been as easy as was my first film SLR (Pentax ME, circa 1978). There's somewhat of a learning curve peculiar to the D80.......I'd still buy it if I had it to do over again given the same circumstances.

11. I'm using a D80 now and love it. My question is the memory cars. I'm using 4gb with no problem but with the price of 8 & 16gb coming down, can I use them? I can't anything covering this in my manual.
    Any response?

12. jdhdiggs

jdhdiggs

Mar 25, 2008
    Centenniel
    I'm using a 16GB card with no issues.

13. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Dear Chief

Should be no problem, but wanted to add my philosophy on memory cards. We have taken quite a few vacations this year with my D40x, including a trip to Hawaii, and I always worry about losing all the photos. My strategy is to split the photos between at least two memory cards in case one goes bad or some catastrophe happens when transferring the photos to the computer.

So consider getting at least two of the desired cards, not for capacity, but for reliability.

14. RainyDays

RainyDays

Aug 19, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    I had a D80 and then upgraded to a D300. In my opinion, I would forget the idea of a backup camera and upgrade to a D300 (selling your D200 and D40). For the few number of times that a D300 has to go into the shop for any reason, you could rent a body as a temporary replacement and in the mean time, you can make better images with the new D300.

15. mcgriff

mcgriff

Oct 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Why not a D90 body? I think the extra bucks spent would get you a much better camera and the movie thing might be neat on a 2nd body. I know you probably don't care about movies, but in a pinch it would be nice to have sometimes. D90 also adds much better ISO performance than the D80.

16. I to use a D80 but i only use good quality 2g cards that way if anything goes wrong i haven't lost much, if i had a 16g and things went wrong, well do the maths that's 8 times worth of pics lost, but in saying that as soon as i get home everything is loaded onto the puter and a backup

17. I love my D-80 and it's quirky Metering. However much I want a 300, I can just invest in GREAT GLASS for me to fall in love again with my 80. My next purchase is the 70-200VR 2.8.

D-80, for me( a self proclaimed amature) taking super pics of family, friends and not doing pro work fits me nice. I did however, add a grip to my 80 for portrait orientation controls...That makes it a totally different camera in to itself!

I also have a D-40, I use that in "high risk" photo location(s) Beach, Water, Snow, Bike Rides and the like- I like it's compact, great ISO and overall full DSLR in a small package. So I DO use my back up camera.(alot)

18. I've had a D80 for two years and love it. Bought a D300 a few months ago and now have the D80 as my backup body. Often carry both. I bought a SD to CF converter so I can use my investment in SD cards in the D300 too.

19. midocr

midocr

Mar 28, 2008
    OH - IO
    Mike
    Love my D80. If I had to buy all over again, I would have gotten the 300, if for nothing more than the extended ISO range and speed. But....it's all a learning process. :485:

20. kelvincheu

kelvincheu

Nov 30, 2008
    Texas
    I at 1st purchased a D40 with 2 kit lens. But last Dec I decided to upgrade to a body that can use my 20 year old AF Nikkor lens. The choice was between D80 and D90. I finally decided to go for the D80 because I can buy a Nikon refurbished demo model from Adorama or Cameta at half the price of a brand new D90. I used the money I saved to buy a AF-S DX 16-85mm lens. I need this lens because I take a lot of landscape shots in national parks, and my old AF Nikkor 24-50mm has to factor by 1.52. So far I am very happy with the D80. Despite Ken's review and user complaint about D80's matrix metering, I have no problem with it at all. The only "difficulty" is to get use to the buttons and functions - it is the learning process.

One thing: to stretch your $, you can buy a good used lens at ebay. I got my AF-S DX 18-70mm (kit lens for D70 and D200) at $140.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.