D80 goes... BANG!

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Holmes, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    While experimenting with the onboard flash in my living room, I received quite a surprise. After taking a shot the camera emitted a loud bang about one second later. Scared the dog enough that she headed for a safer room!

Sounded like a capacitor blew inside but there was no odour emittance and the camera still seems to function?!

Its now off to Nikon for some obviously needed surgery.

Thankfully, I have a couple of D50 bodies here that have been feeling lonely. Just can't seem to get too far away from the ol' reliable D50!

2. The same thing happened to my D70 while in commander mode last year. I never got it fixed but will look into it this year (out of warranty). I had a similar problem with my 2 month old D200 and dropped it off at Melville last week. They looked at it and fixed it under warranty. UPS shows it delivered today so I can't wait to start using my D200 again. I am 0 for 2 on onboard flashes and hesitant to use it in the future.

Good luck with the repair.

-Eugene

3. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I'll bet those charging capacitors are one of the more problematic aspects of DSLR technology.

Here's the irony... when this happened I was getting ready to take a few pics of a D50 that I had decided to sell... yup, the one I'm now using!

4. isnt that why they call it "shooting"?
    Just kidding, hope it is fixed quickly

5. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    OK, now I'm paranoid. I can deal with the threat of hot pixels in the D80, and I went through quite a bit of searching to find a D80 that seems to be OK. I love the camera, but darn, now I'm worried about using the onboard flash and suffering the big boom. Don't want to have a heart attack using my camera! How prevalent is this problem? Should I wear goggles and ear plugs? Just kidding--sort of.

6. Jon Niola

Jon Niola Guest

Honestly I don't think it happens that often. I have heard of maybe three or four incidents out of hundreds and hundreds of users on these forums and others like it.

I would not worry :)

7. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks, Jon. Guess you won't know if it's going to happen to your camera until it does. I hadn't heard of it until reading this post.