D80 or 70-200VR focus issues

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Desmond, Jul 9, 2007.

1. [​IMG]

Hopefully the images showed ok . I bought a 70-200 VR 2.8 lens recently and noticed a focus problem . It is currently at the agents [ with the D80] but has been ther more than a week now . In the attached image you can see an out of focus quad bike with a band of in focus grass behind . The picture was taken at f2.8 , 1/500 th sec with VR switched on . I'm betting the problem is in the camera , after all doesn't the camera tell the lens where to focus ?
    Looking through the viewfinder it seems to focus spot-on but the picture taken shows otherwise . I would imagine that the sensor is not the exact distance as the focus screen is from the mirror . Has anyone had a similar fault ?

2. mallaig

mallaig

Mar 12, 2006
    Desmond, just looking at the image I'd say you locked focus while tracking the quadbike. It's pretty hard to tell from that small image what went wrong, though. Can you link to the original?

3. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    You are much better off testing the lens against a static object if you think something is wrong with it. Otherwise, there are too many variables on errors. It is most likely user error with the AF system is my guess since you did not mention what type of AF modes you were in. It is very hard to accurately gauge focus lock from the viewfinder with the naked eye.