D80 replacement?!?! Anything else due?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by johnmh, Jul 1, 2008.

1. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    so..... With all the buzz about the D700, am I the only one wondering what happened to the D90?

The D80's been getting heavily discouned and shoved out the door in big boxes with reports of stock-out in a Canada...... all the signs of a replacement being due are still there - but NO replacement.

The PC lenses are attractive to a VERY small market - but those were the only lens announcements. Any more news due there?

NOTHING about the updated 70-200 or 80-400 or any AF-S primes

Sure seems like there SHOULD be more in the pipeline. What goes?

2. DamonL

DamonL

May 14, 2008
    VA
    I was hoping to hear about the D80 replacement, too. There is too much talk about a D3X and D90 that I think its only a matter of time when they announce them.

3. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
  4. Personally I hope they don't announce the D90, I can't afford it and I know I will do something stupid and buy it in a moment of weakness. I swear some of my best shots were with the D50/Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. (If I say that often enough I may cure myself of NAS;-).

What scares me more right now is all the lightly-used D300's about to hit the market as our fellow Nikonians acquire the D700.

5. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    I am lying in wait.

One thing about mechanical stuff - it all wears out. Someday you'll have to replace your D50. The sooner we do it, the longer it will last - look at it that way!

6. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Aside from the stupid matrix metering issues, I'm pretty pleased with my D80. Definitely no new D300 for me in the near future (too much $$$$) and definitely no D700 either (even more $$$$). Discovering how much I love shooting film, I'd be far more likely to try and pickup a used F6 at this point than either a D300 or 700, LOL. Might even try to find a mint N80, heh heh. But I still want to see what the D90 will be like. If they give it all the Active D-Lighting features of the D300 and fix the stupid metering issues I might be game to let the D80 go and possibly the D40 as well and get a 90.

I'd still rather keep investing in glass though. For the $500 I'd likely have to shell out to sell my D80 and upgrade to a D90, I'd rather sell my 17-55DX and upgrade to the 24-70FX so that I could use it on both my D80 and my F100. 24mm would generally be wide enough for me even on DX, and the extra reach would be nice, along with FX/35mm compatibility. Or keep the 17-55DX and pickup a used 35-70/2.8. :biggrin:

One thing's for sure. It's certainly a great time to be in the Nikon camp. So many great products and choices to choose from! From looking at some of the other forums out there, there are a lot of Canon shooters with envious eyes looking across the fence. This time last year it was the exact opposite! :smile:

7. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I haven't been in the DSLR market too long so I'm not sure about this, but usually...
    Manufacturers generally plan their releases in equal time increments. So whenever the D70 came out to when the D80 came out, plan on that being about the same time period between the D80 and D90. That being said...

They also do their product releases together. But sometimes they don't...look at Apple.
    March-New Macbook Pro
    May-New iMac
    July-New iPhone

8. I'm thinking of going with a D300 myself. While they will be some used ones out there they will probably be asking almost as much for it as a new one to help fund the D700 purchase. I don't think the savings will be that big in the used D300 market for a while yet. Besides, the price for a new D300 has already starting to drop some.

MikeT

9. Same here, but the metering issue keeps bugging me. I have to keep adjusting -3, -7 or -1 EC. Because of this, I'm considering a D300 purchase either new or used.

MikeT

10. CoOokie

CoOokie

May 4, 2008
    Poland
    I also would like to hear some news about D90. I love my D80 but would like some of it's issues removed (or added). I would almost certainly search an opportunity to get D90 - beg my family for money and my friends to lend it to me. I wouldn't sell my D80 because it would by my second body if I would buy D90.
    Sooo... Come on Nikon, give us some news! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2008
  11. I don't mean this specifically to you, but a gentle observation ...

This just goes to show the danger of waiting for Nikon for the next upgrade. Every few months we hear rumors of a 70-200VR II, updated 80-400, updated 24-120, AF-S 85/1.4, AF-S 50/1.4, new 28/1.4, 70-200/4, 17-70/4, etc.

The vast majority of the time, those who want that lens are disappointed. As Thom Hogan's article says, Nikon normally introduces 5-6 new lenses a year. They've already introduced 5 new lenses this year. Three of those are for very specific purposes, but superb for what they do. Another (the AF-S 60/2.8 Micro) is also specialized (and also superb).

The 16-85VR DX, also excellent for what it does, hardly anyone expected and many scoffed at the early rumors and spy photos of it -- just like they did for the D700. Even Thom rationalized the 16-85 a bit when he said that he thought a new 24-120 was coming out, he just didn't realize it was in DX form. Now that the D700 is out, the need for that updated 24-120 makes that need even more acute.

A friend loves his Pentax system, and he gets only 2-3 new lenses a year -- and some of those are rebadged, and the Pentax lens system is even further back in many ways than Nikon's. He'd be thrilled with 5-6 new lenses a year.

So -- trying to guess what Nikon will do will drive you crazy :biggrin:

That said, I am surprised that a D90 hasn't been released yet, especially since that gives Canon a long lead time. Looks like it may not come out until the D80 is officially two years old (quite an eternity nowdays, eh?).

12. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    Well...... September now seems to be the date for the D90 - though that's a bit far off if the D80 is out of stock in some places.

Giving up on an update for the 80-400, I'll be trying out the new Sigma 150-500 OS as a 'reasonable' alternative to a large long lens. More than the 70-200, less than the 200-400 in size and weight - along with a slightly longer reach.

13. One thought that crossed my mind -- if a D90 isn't to be announced until Photokina, that might make a used D300 much more attractive to some D90 buyers. The initial price of a D90 might be high. Used prices of the D300 have been gradually falling, and it's quite possible that the D700 introduction will lead to some further drops in the next few months. E.g. D300 owners looking to move to the D700, or D3 owners who had used the D300 as a second, lighter body and don't need the DX reach.

I did say "some" D90 buyers. Others won't want the added expense, weight, complexity, etc. And it's possible that while a D90 might have a reduced set of the D300's features, Nikon might add a few unique twists to the newer body.

14. CoOokie

CoOokie

May 4, 2008
    Poland
    Don't forget Bill that not everyone wants to buy used body (I don't). It already has made a lot of clicks and it's more likely to malfunction than brand new body. I would upgrade to new D90, not used D200 or D300. But that's only my opinion. :)

15. I have nothing against buying used equipment but I would rather buy my bodies new. I've been keeping an eye on the D300 prices as they have dropped lately.

MikeT

16. CoOokie

CoOokie

May 4, 2008
    Poland
    MikeT: Here in Europe (Poland in particular) D300 prices are dropping down too. But for me it's still to expensive. I would rather buy more accesories for my D80 (grip, SB-800 or SB-900, lenses) than buy D300 and have only new body. Maybe later... :)

17. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    While I'm planning a D700 as soon as my dealer gets one, I am more than a little anxious to see how many gently used D3s hit the used market and at what price. If my calculations are correct, and I can get a D700/grip for under $3300, and decent D3s start showing up for $4000 or a little less, I may be in trouble! I don't anticipate a lot of D3 owners to sell for a smaller body, but there will be some...

Lying in wait, too...

18. They already have. There was a D3 on FM for $4k today