D80 Settings for Sports

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mastercraft1995, Sep 25, 2008.

1. My current set up D80 with a 70 to 300 VFR lens. I'm very new to photography so I'm looking for some help. I'm very new to the whole digital camera thing and I'm a little over whelmed right now.

I'm try to shoot some football games for my son. I'm trying to shot in either "A" or "S", ISO around 200 on sunny days and 400 to 600 on cloudy days.

Yesterday it was cloudy and when ever I took a picture the helmets and gray sky would flash.

So I went to sports and auto because I couldn't figure it out. The pictures didn't flash at all.

I want to have control of the camera but I need some basic setting to start with.

So what are the basic setting you use and how do you get to those settings?

2. Try Smode:wink:

3. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    MasterCraft1995 (can I call you Master Craft? please add your name if possible)

When you set the shooting mode, Aperture or Shutter Priority, you are looking for certain things. Normally I shoot in AP mode to control teh depth of field, and keep an eye on my shutther speed so that it doesn't drop to low to freeze action.

you can shoot SP mode to always get your shutter speed, and you have to watch that, with a variable aperture lens, that you have enough light to expose properly.

All that said, you can shoot manual, and set Auto ISO to get the dept of field you want and the shutter speed you want and sacrifice ISO (and possibly introduce noise)

What you did to start, and having the helmet flash may not be all bad, if you ecposed the face right. You can always dial in a little -EV to get rid of the blinkies...

Post a few shots and let's see what you got!

And Welcome to the cafe!

4. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    First, the D80 has a Sports Mode. Set you camera to this, and make sure you have Single Area, AF-C set.

Select the desired ISO and see what the Sports Mode does with it. If you like it, and the lighting conditions are consistent, then set the same thing in Manual. If the settings that the camera selects for the ISO aren't producing favorable results, then adjust it accordingly.

If not, just use Sports Mode. It'll be fine; learn from there.
    It's how I did it.

5. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    6 Posts --So your really new here
    Welcome aboard!!!!!!
    First off Read this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/education/book_profile.html?id=729

Second learn about reading your cameras histograms
    [​IMG]
    This histogram shows an almost perfect distribution of tones covering about a 4 stop dynamic range — from deep shadows on the left to just short of bright highlights on the right.
    Learn to use your camera/ In A mode or S mode-- you essentially have an expensive point and shoot with a better lens the camera is making decisions not you
    Take a few shots in your desired mode study the information ( settings camera made) from each shoot - than take that info and switch to MANUAL MODE- Now your in control
    Just my take on it But I still drive a Stick Shift:biggrin:

6. I'll try to post some pictures this weekend in sports and A and S mode. I tried going to Sports and let the camera do the work and then try to copy that A and S mode but I'm missing something.

Yep I'm very new. I'm totally overwhelmed trying to learn the camera.

I'm having fun with it though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.