D80 + two speedlights without fire camera flash?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Leo Horta, Jul 4, 2007.

1. It is possible?? When I set the built in flash to -- in Commander mode menu and set the others flashes to work in a iTTL mode (for example), the camera flash fire..and the SB-800 and SB-600 works fine, but if I close the built-in flash and shoot, the other units don't fire too.
    Is possible command other flash units without fire the camera flash??

Thanks!

2. Sure, you can use an SU-800 on your camera to trigger the remote flashes using invisible infra-red signals.

You can find it here

3. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Go to your Custom Setting Menu and scroll down to #22 (Built-in flash). Select this and then scroll to Commander mode. Select Commander mode and for the Built-in flash selection under the "Mode" column you need to select the double dash (--).

Set your groups and channel up and your ready to go. As long as the -- is selected for the Built-in flash, it will not fire. Keep in mind, it will still pop up as normal, it just won't fire.

If you want to use it again with your speed lights, simply undo these steps and set it up for TTL or whatever you want.

Hope this helps.

4. When you set your internal flash to Commander mode, it controls the remote speedlights with flashes of light. If you close the built in flash, it can no longer command the remotes, so they won't fire.

When you select "--" for the internal flash, it will not contribute to the illumination of the subject, but it still must fire light pulses before the shutter is released in order to communicate with and control the remote flashes.

5. In this mode the pop-up WILL in fact fire. Before the exposure it fires a series of pre-flashes to communicate with the remotes. This is how the flash exposure is calculated.

Then DURING exposure, it fires again. This is the signal which tells the remote units when to fire. Otherwise, they wouldn't know when to do their thing.

In -- mode, the contribution from the onboard flash is minimized and not normally noticed on ordinary shots, but it's still there. You can prove it to yourself by making the settings you suggest and then taking a picture of a mirror.:biggrin:

I hope this helps.

6. Chris, Frank and Bob thanks a lot!! I really not certified if built-in flash contribute to the illumination of the scene. I'll make the mirror test :biggrin: