D800 & AF-F in Live View...

I recently picked up a D800 as I was impressed with the video capabilities. I was messing around with the AF-F target tracking mode and noticed it seems to focus once, but doesnt really continue doing any kind of AF after that. However when I was in BH photo prior to purchasing, the AF tracking was spot on in live view. Its certainly not the biggest deal as any time Im in live view is for HD Video and I am manually focusing, but what gives? Am I configuring something wrong or missing a step?

I recently picked up a D800 as I was impressed with the video capabilities. I was messing around with the AF-F target tracking mode and noticed it seems to focus once, but doesnt really continue doing any kind of AF after that. However when I was in BH photo prior to purchasing, the AF tracking was spot on in live view. Its certainly not the biggest deal as any time Im in live view is for HD Video and I am manually focusing, but what gives? Am I configuring something wrong or missing a step?

Make sure that you don't have the camera body or lens switches in the manual position.

In practice I've found the AF-F tracking mode to be entirely useless anyway. I have found that the camera periodically checks focus and in the process quickly blurs and restores the focus. As a result the focus is jittery and unstable and a huge distraction in the video. That said, this might be entirely dependent on the lens choice. Once I hit the problem and ruined a video I switched to either manual or AF-S and didn't explore it further.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom