D800 and battery life

I spent 3 hours yesterday with my new D800. After using my D300 and MB-10, I was amazed at how the D800 drained the battery in the camera and the Sanyo 2700 AA batteries I had in the MB-12 grip. I started out with fully charged batteries and when I got home, I was down to one bar on the battery indicator.

With my D300 I would still have at least three bars remaining when shooting under the same conditions.

I must admit that I did use the live view much more for set up of tripod shots. The D800 certainly makes it much easier to use and the the display is absolutely great. This probably accounts for much of the excess drain.

I'm going to have to start carrying an extra complete battery change with me now. As if I don't have enough weigh to carry already.

May be the live view draining. I put in 865 on my battery and grip with regular AA batteries and no problem, just took it out to charge not because I needed to.

I can't speak to battery drainage by the grip, but with the in camera battery I'm getting very satisfactory battery life.
I just checked the D800 I used yesterday for 250 images at a soccer game -- I'm still on full bars on the LCD and 90% when I check Battery Info in the menu.
It was with a non-vr lens (180) and I didn't do much chimping.

Completely off topic, the D800 has totally reinvigorated my AF 180.
It now latches on to moving players well and wide open is as sharp as my 70-200vr II was on my D3s and D700 bodies. :smile:

My brother in law got one of my D800 and of course, would not wait for a full first charge on the battery, (he is too far away for me to beat on), now he got only 100 or so images and had two battery charges to even get there, I wonder if there is a refresh on the battery?

I never use live view, but constantly view shots to check quality, etc., can shoot Judo tournaments for 6+ hours on one battery..The only battery I ran dry was when I put the camera in the bag in the on position. A day or two latter, I found the battery drained. This never happened w/ any of my other Nikon cameras in the past. I have a habbit of leaving my cameras in the on position when put away. Maybe the battery drain was a fluke, but now I will be more careful about turning off, at least until I figure out what is going on.

never do much if any peeping and yesterday I did 104 shots and the battery still indicated full,, will find out next week on the Florida vacation what a full day support will be,, have a spare battery so not worried but would think 800+ on one,,

Derry

My batteries drain quick as well. One thing I found out is if you use the USB 3 connection from your camera it will drain the battery fast. Either disconnect or turn the camera off after you transfer your data.

My D7000 could do 2K shots on a single battery. My D800 is between 800 - 1000.

Real Name
Tony Admana
Completely off topic, the D800 has totally reinvigorated my AF 180.
It now latches on to moving players well and wide open is as sharp as my 70-200vr II was on my D3s and D700 bodies. :smile:

Awesome! Very good to know.:smile:

I'm sure some of y'all have seen this on other forums...

So, I was prepared tonight to change batteries for an event that ran for 5-6 hours, had 2 additional batteries with me and one slightly used(approx 100 shots on it along with chimping).

64gb worth of images were taken(approx 900 images), about 15mins of video captured, 50% of the night 70-200 VR2 was mounted with VR on, and plenty of chimping.

2 bars are still left on the battery.

Conditions, 60% humidity, start of the even air temp, 95*F.

I suspect 1100 shots or 64gb worth of images would be a good place to seriously consider a battery change.

think we have been spoiled by what we are now expecting from the batteries,, many should recall the early days of digital when after a couple hundred photos you were happy ya made in on the same battery,,

would imagine technology will improve the EL15s with time but if I can squeeze 1K out of one battery I'll be happy,,

Derry

Best Buy brick and mortar stores seem to be the best source.
I've seen them on racks there and many others report their stores having them, too.

just bought my spare at BB as well, there was ten hanging on the rack,, I did check the batch # before purchase to assure it was not on the recall,,

Derry

Don't Li-ion batteries get better after they've been run down and recharged several times?

Not usually, no. Li-ion batteries like to be calibrated regularly, so you should use the battery until the equipment it powers cannot run on it (we tend to call this fully discharged although it still has some charge in it). At this point, you should fully charge the battery. Doing this once a month will ensure that the battery always charges up to near its full potential.

Over time, the amount of charge a li-ion battery holds will permanently diminish. It will do so sooner if you deplete the battery 'fully' every cycle. Best practice for longevity is to only partially (25-50%) use the battery on most cycles and then use a full charge once a month or so. That said, there's less value in preserving the capacity of your battery if you rarely use the full capacity. There's a trade off between lifespan and function here, and you'll have some idea of how you need to use batteries best for your own ends.

Having spare batteries will help you whether you're looking to get as many shots as you can on as few batteries or if you're trying to only partially use your batteries between most charges.

Not usually, no. Li-ion batteries like to be calibrated regularly, so you should use the battery until the equipment it powers cannot run on it (we tend to call this fully discharged although it still has some charge in it). At this point, you should fully charge the battery. Doing this once a month will ensure that the battery always charges up to near its full potential.

Over time, the amount of charge a li-ion battery holds will permanently diminish. It will do so sooner if you deplete the battery 'fully' every cycle. Best practice for longevity is to only partially (25-50%) use the battery on most cycles and then use a full charge once a month or so. That said, there's less value in preserving the capacity of your battery if you rarely use the full capacity. There's a trade off between lifespan and function here, and you'll have some idea of how you need to use batteries best for your own ends.

Having spare batteries will help you whether you're looking to get as many shots as you can on as few batteries or if you're trying to only partially use your batteries between most charges.

I find the best balance is to simply use it when you need it, and charge when you have to. If you use your SLR at least once or twice a week, this will add up to it having pretty stable and predicted lifespan - with added bonus of care-free use. Li-ion and Li-po behaviour, I find, is very accommodating to a worry-free battery usage style.

I used my first full charge to set all the menu items, then managed 336 pictures over two days and the battery was down to 20%. A bit disappointing compared to the D700, but I'll get over it :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom