D800 grip question

I am going to add a D800 body to my kit (I use the D4+D3s currently) and have seen good reviews on the Meike knock off grip (about $60) and was thinking of giving one of those a try as the Nikon is around $400. --- if any D800 users have an aftermarket grip I would appreciate hearing from you. Would probably use it with a BL-5 cap for use with the Nikon D4 series batteries as well if anyone has some real world experience with that combo. regards / D

I've been using the $100 FlashPoint Magnesium grip (Adorama) and love it.
Runnin' Eneloops for my blistering 5/6 fps :biggrin: ~20K actuations...no problems! :wink:

DBR403, I have the Meike grip, its not bad, feels good and sturdy, it isn't a magnesium grip but its good so far. Sometimes the battery compartment feels a bit lose, but overall its a good grip.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments. (Cliff, I didn't know you could even get a frame rate boost on the D800, without going into DX mode - good info), also, The FlashPoint unit looks very good and I see there are two models -- The magnesium is currently on back-order but might be worth the wait. To Canada its about $160 with Tax and shipping in. The Nikon version is close to $400+tax

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for clearing that up --- (turns out what I didn't know was correct all along) :)

also Iain the link you sent me for the unit you got looks pretty darn nice as well - thx
METAL Battery Grip Holder MB-D12 + 2 Battery EN-EL15 for Nikon D800 D800E Camera

DR

Just a heads-up: Be sure that the 3rd party grip you get can accommodate the EN-EL18 + BL-5, cos what I've heard is that only the Nikon grip allows that.

Real Name
Colin Carter
Just a heads-up: Be sure that the 3rd party grip you get can accommodate the EN-EL18 + BL-5, cos what I've heard is that only the Nikon grip allows that.

I'm pretty sure your correct. I use the bl-5 with the d4 battery and the genuine Nikon grip.

I used the money I saved in not getting the d800e and got the genuine nikon grip rather than a cheap knock off. I only need to use one charger now for both cameras.

Thanks for the advice on the BL-5 only working on the OEM .... Thats a pretty big deal for me having a D4 and spare batteries that I wanted to use with the D800. / D

Has anyone used the Vello BG-N7 Battery Grip? It’s only $90 at B&H and seems to have better reviews than the Nikon grip.

You pays your money and takes your chance.

If you think it's worth it, go for it

Well, the reviews are better for the Vello than the reviews for the Nikon, and for $90 vs $370, it’s worth a shot. This will be the first time I’ve ever used anything other than Nikon. Ever. I’ve already ordered it. Just curious why it was never mentioned in this thread.

I just purchased the Vello grip. I have not tried it yet because my D800 is still at Nikon being repaired. But the materials seem the same as my D700 grip and the buttons seem fine. I know its plastic but it looks fine. I have a friend that uses the Vello on his D800e and he said it works great.

Has anyone used the Vello BG-N7 Battery Grip? It’s only $90 at B&H and seems to have better reviews than the Nikon grip.

I have just purchased the Vello grip from B&H. I looks very good, will test it next week at a baseball game. My decision was based on careful reviews. I was initially interested in the Zeikos, but when I examined the Amazon reviews closely most favorable comments were for a Zeikos grip on another camera. Be very careful when examining the reviews.

I got the grip a couple of days ago. It works very well. I used it all afternoon and at night under the lights and had no problems. However, when I first tried installing the D800 battery, it would not accept it. I had to fumble with it for at least 15 minutes before I could get the grip to work. The electrical contacts just don’t seem to line up properly, but once I got it working, it was flawless. $90 vs $370 for the Nikon Grip was well worth it. A couple of photos. More photos here.

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I got the Nikon grip, read too many reports of the various non nikon ones not working. I have the RRS L bracket, and the only one they they tries was the nikon.

Meike make a battery cover for the Meike D300 grip but can't find one for the Meike D800 grip. I think you will get great battery life with AA Eneloop XX batteries though.

BTW why call these 3rd party grips Knock Off, they're identical to the Nikon Grips, people don't call Tamron or Sigma Knock Off :confused:

P.S, I've noticed DSTE MB-D12 do a grip and also can supply a DSTE BL-5 + EN-EL18A. Have a look on eBay, total cost is $89.

there's a vid on youtube, the guy had a problem when hitting live view, looking down the comments it looks like when DSTE BL-5 + EN-EL18A is inserted having a 3rd party battery in the camera makes the D800 error.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Colin Carter
Meike make a battery cover for the Meike D300 grip but can't find one for the Meike D800 grip. I think you will get great battery life with AA Eneloop XX batteries though.

BTW why call these 3rd party grips Knock Off, they're identical to the Nikon Grips, people don't call Tamron or Sigma Knock Off :confused:

P.S, I've noticed DSTE MB-D12 do a grip and also can supply a DSTE BL-5 + EN-EL18A. Have a look on eBay, total cost is $89.

there's a vid on youtube, the guy had a problem when hitting live view, looking down the comments it looks like when DSTE BL-5 + EN-EL18A is inserted having a 3rd party battery in the camera makes the D800 error.

I surpose Sigma and Tamron arn't trying to replicate a Nikon part, whereas these grips are.

I look at the grips like I would a cheap Chinese knockoff Rolex watch, whereas Sigma and Tamron lenses are just like buying a different brand of tyre for your car.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom