D800 issue - shutter?

So I'm taking shots today and I notice that the bottom half of some of my shots is showing black. At first I thought I had my hand in front of the lens, but then it started happening every other shot. Sometimes the black is just a bit, and sometimes it's the whole bottom half of the shot. Does this mean my shutter is going bad?

Attachments

• VES_0317.jpg
    VES_0317.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 104
It's likely the shutter. My daughters camera had the same thing a few months ago. I flipped the mirror up with a finger and could see the "curtain" was messed up. It's a quick and easy repair.

It's likely the shutter. My daughters camera had the same thing a few months ago. I flipped the mirror up with a finger and could see the "curtain" was messed up. It's a quick and easy repair.

Did you do the repair yourself?

+1 I'm close enough to APS that I've hand delivered a camera for repair and picked it up when done. That saved me about 3 days each way shipping time not to mention the peace of mind knowing it's not lost under some conveyor belt and they actually got it.
I'm 45 minutes away. Been there several times. Quite an impressive setup, people are super nice.

I called Nikon Repair, they said it was the mirror box ($350 to repair) or the shutter ($450 to repair). I had a look at YouTube at the video on replacing the shutter, way too involved for me, so I sent it to be repaired. I asked the guy if 172K was a lot on the D800, he said no, so that's good. I figure I should get at least twice that out of this body.

Latest threads

Top Bottom