D800 MB-D12 Grip

Just ordered a MB-D12 for my future D800. No way I'm putting a cheap knock off grip on a $3000 work camera! :rolleyes:

As pricey as the new grip is, I'm with you! The more complex and powerful the computers get in our camera bodies, the more sensitive they become voltage hiccups and connection issues. No way I'd risk having to have my 800 serviced due to a cheap grip - especially considering the realistic cost differential is about $175 up from the MB-D10.

Although I understand the outrage with the price of the grip, I would tend to agree with Jonathan and Vinman, especially considering the cost of the lenses that might be attached to the camera. I wouldn't trust $5,000 worth of Nikon gear to a cheap knock-off plastic grip for a difference of $175. That's 3.5% of $5,000 of camera gear that's being trusted to a plastic grip mounted to a tri-pod or a bottom mount camera strap. Maybe, I am wrong on the way the grip mounts to the camera and it's build quality, but I would tend to look elsewhere to save money. Now I have a reason to lose a few pounds. Must feed my NAS!

FrankieB stated:
I may be wrong on this, but I believe there are 3 battery options for the MB-D12:

1. The most expensive being the D4 battery (En-EL18) and charger.
2. Regular Alkaline AA batteries.
3. The same battery used in the D800 (En-EL15).

Are lithium AA's permitted?
I always use them in my D700 grip -- more power/pound.

FrankieB stated:
I may be wrong on this, but I believe there are 3 battery options for the MB-D12:

1. The most expensive being the D4 battery (En-EL18) and charger.
2. Regular Alkaline AA batteries.
3. The same battery used in the D800 (En-EL15).

Are lithium AA's permitted?
I always use them in my D700 grip -- more power/pound.

Fred,

I believe as long as the batteries are AA, than lithium's are OK to use, and are more powerful, last longer, and are well suited for digital camera's and flashes.

Congrats on the D4! As someone who loves all things mechanical, especially when they are well made, the sound of the D4 shutter clicking away at 11 FPS is intoxicating!

Nikon probably figured out they are selling the D800 for less than what they could get for it [excessive demand] so they are making up for it by selling the accessories at exhorbitant prices.

Nikon probably figured out they are selling the D800 for less than what they could get for it [excessive demand] so they are making up for it by selling the accessories at exhorbitant prices.

+1

if that was the case, it helps us consumers... :) i still prefer a pro body... you can't match the feeling...

I bought it because I have many AA rechargeable batteries and the En-El15 is not available anywhere. Would have bought it even if the EL15 was available.

I have heard that the new battery design requires a completely new grip. Probably won't ever use the EL15 in the grip anyway.

Real Name
Randy
Once you get over the sticker shock of the grip wait till you price out the higher capacity En-EL18 battery and charger for it!! Holy crap!!

En-EL18 battery 169.95
MH-26 Charger 349.95

and don't u need a new battery door:smile:

Does the grip come set up to accept AA's? Have charger and extra AA's for the flash already. That is what I was planning on.
Just bought the MB-D12 and it does have two trays. One for an EN-EL15 (or EN-EL18) and another for 8 "AA's". Also, if you install 8 "AA's", don't forget to select option d11 in the D800 menu and select your type of battery (LR6, HR6, or FR6).

Although I understand the outrage with the price of the grip, I would tend to agree with Jonathan and Vinman, especially considering the cost of the lenses that might be attached to the camera. I wouldn't trust $5,000 worth of Nikon gear to a cheap knock-off plastic grip for a difference of $175. That's 3.5% of $5,000 of camera gear that's being trusted to a plastic grip mounted to a tri-pod or a bottom mount camera strap. Maybe, I am wrong on the way the grip mounts to the camera and it's build quality, but I would tend to look elsewhere to save money. Now I have a reason to lose a few pounds. Must feed my NAS!

Cars are made out of plastic with a weight over a ton so plastic grips are just fine. I had 4 so far aftermarket grips and never had a single problem.
In fact all my grips made by Mieke, Zeikos and Opteka felt better in my hand than camera itself because rough surfaces on these grips had real rubber.
$449 price is too high for something that actually does not have any electronics inside. I will wait for the aftermarket.

Latest threads

Top Bottom