D800 sharpening in NX2

Since this question is not so much about NX2, but about the sharpening setting for the D800 in NX2, I'm posting it here.

To start with, last I did something stupid. I picked up my D800 with grip, and 200-400 zoom on a monopod with Manfrotto 577 slide adapter from the floor (I was shooting catwalk and there just had been a coffee break) and somehow I let the camera and lens slip from the monopod, some 10-15 inches from the (concrete) floor

The lens fell on the hood but the main impact was on the grip. Nothing broken, just a minor scratch on the grip, and I was able to continue shooting (after recovering from the initial shock) without a problem

When I processed the pictures, I noticed they seemed softer then I remembered having shot under similar situations, but as the light was not optimal (mix of tungsten with much daylight) it might be due to that.

I usually have my sharpening at 25/10/3 for my D3 and 40/10/3 for my D800

Earlier this week I shot another show, with the D800, but now with the 28/70-200 VRII (VR off, as I shot with shutterspeeds between 1/800 and 1/640)

I have had this combination checked with NPS last year when I had backfocus with my D800, and had it as far as needed calibrated then.

When processing the pictures I noticed considerable softness, which I only was able to sharpen to an acceptable level with my sharpening set on 50/40/3

I have had my camera checked at NPS, and they after an initial check did not find anything out of order (I have another big show coming so don't fancy having my camera with the repair department or a loaner instead)

What is your experience, what are your settings

Thanks in advance

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
i dropped mine several weeks ago, but from about 1m, and like you the grip took the brunt of the impact, but Nikon was required to sort out the focusing and stick some electronics back where they were meant to be inside the camera - unknown to me they had dislodged in the fall.

Nikon UK were excellent and camera was returned in 2 weeks and has been perfect since.

Forget about impact - nothing wrong with your camera. About the settings - my personal experience. I was not able do get any stable result with NX-2. As for me, LR is much better for home, but the the best - real best - is PS in the lab, since I do not know the PS, hah! Let me repeat - it is my very personal experience.

Smart sharpen LAB mode. I worked it out for each camera and print size.

I use the one in ACR for capture, along with Adobe Profile editor set to default based on camera serial. All I have to do is open an image and the colors are already correct.

I would agree 100% with Jason's HP/USM approach.

I also agree with his comments regarding selective sharpening. Place both the HP and USM in the same edit step - any masking then applies to both without having to do it twice.

DG

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom