D800 Shooting Solid Black Images!

Yes, the lens cap was off!:biggrin:

I did a shoot today only to find out after starting to edit at home the first nine consecutively numbered images are solid black. These images were shot (RAW + JPG_FINE). This is totally weird because I don't have any missing imaged as I always use a test/information care to separate sessions or points of interest. I always format the card in camera after every download so it is not a formatting issue. This is the first time this happened so I am not sure if I have a problem developing. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is this something I should worry about? Thanks.

What is the exif data on the black images??
Are you sure you did not just accidentally push down the shutter button with the lenscap in place- I have done that before?? Again, the exif data will likely let you know.
Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mystery solved! Checking the EXIF was key to solving this. The nine images were shot in aperture priority while my session was shot in manual. A good guess is somehow the camera got turned on while in my bag and the shutter release was bumped and fired off the shots with the lens cap on. I feel better now that I don't have any issues, other than one big dust bunny on the sensor that is aggravating me. I will take care of that tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Actually I did have this happen this weekend and it wasn't a lens cap that I neglected to take off. I was shooting a rodeo and it was really dusty. I decided, even though I didn't change lenses, that dust must have got between the lens mount and camera. I didn't think to check the exif data before deleting the photos.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom