D800E - Discovered Feature

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by BrianDW, Sep 10, 2017.

1. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    I have discovered a feature of my D800E which is new to me. Since discovering the convenience and configurability of Auto-ISO around a year ago, I have had the feature permanently enabled on both my cameras.

Looking through some recent photos, taken in low light, I was surprised to see that EXIF reported my in-camera 'high-ISO NR' setting as 'low'. Since I always keep this 'off', I was puzzled.

Long story short: after a trial, I discovered that the camera automatically switches to the 'low' NR setting somewhere between an ISO of 1100 and 1400, and stays on for higher ISO settings (as set automatically); even though the internal software switch remains at 'off'.
    I have gone back to the manual, and this feature is not mentioned.

2. That's not good
    Does it do that for raw ?

3. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    Yes Randy. I always shoot in RAW.

4. What software are you using to see the EXIF ?
    I hate NR SW and this is very disappointing especially since 1100 is not a high ISO

5. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    I use Nikon's own. Both View-NXi and Capture NX-D.

6. I don't think EXIF viewers show NR SW but I never really looked for it
    I see this as a bug

7. photogramps

photogramps

May 6, 2012
    uk
    Roger
    Definitely looks like a bug but wouldn't this only apply for jpeg or opening in NX-I/NX-D?

8. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    Just conducted a trial with my D7200. Through a range of ISO settings, in-camera high-ISO NR remained 'off' throughout up to ISO 6400; as selected.

Any chance of another D800E owner confirming?

9. That would have been my guess but you're seeing it in the EXIF which is strange
    Do you have an EXIF viewer like opanda to see if it's listed there also

10. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    My apologies to everyone. I was looking in the wrong part of the user manual.
    Page 277:
    "Off - Noise reduction is performed only at sensitivities of 1600 and higher. The amount of noise reduction is less than the amount performed when 'low' is selected for 'High ISO NR'.

Who would have guessed that?

11. I still don't like it, off should be off

12. photogramps

photogramps

May 6, 2012
    uk
    Roger
    Still not going to be implemented on the RAW file though?

13. I think NR is a Nikon proprietary setting so no RAW
    I'll check my D800 anyway

14. 73Z1

73Z1

Sep 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    Did you check with a comprehensive tool like ExifTool that shows the full proprietary "Maker" info?

Yes.
    I have checked with the free utility by Phil Harvey ExifTool https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ and my D800E RAW images at 1400 show HighISONoiseReduction = "OFF", but those at 1600 and above = "Minimal". All NR, Vingnetting and even lens distortion settings are always set to OFF in my cameras, so Nikon is overriding the user setting.

I also did a quick review of some images that I shot with a rented D5 from Lenrentals.com (excellent folks) back when they first started shipping. The D5 value is HighISONoiseReduction = "OFF" for images up through ISO 6400. I 'd have to dig into the archives to find tests with ISO higher than that.

Although Phil's ExifTool is amazing in its ability to dig out EXIF and proprietary "Maker" info from RAW and jpeg images; it is a command line tool that can be problematic for some to use. I suggest if you are interested in comprehensive EXIF info from your images, you also download and install the free tool ExifGUI, available at: http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php?topic=2750.0
    Don't let the age of EXIFGUI scare you, I'm using v5.16 with no problems.

Both tools are installed on Windows PCs easily with no writing to the registry. The EXIFGUI tool is a "wrapper" that provides an graphical way to easily view all the EXIF info available in your images from ExifTool. Of particular use, one can see the AF settings and the actual AF sensor chosen (or not at all) by the camera at the time of the exposure. Using this combo, I found that for my high speed motorsports shooting, using DynamicAFArea = 72 points was not better than DynamicAFArea = 25 points. For me, DynamicAFArea = 153 was basically useless. I've also determined that (for me) Group Area AF is usually better than Dynamic AF Area 25, except when using the 1.4TC on my 600 VR where Dynamic AF Area 25 appears to be better.

15. Checking a D810 nef @ iso=1600, high iso noise reduction = off.

Checked again @ iso = 12800, still off.

Checking a D800 nef @ iso=1600, high iso noise reduction = minimal.

So they stopped "minimal" with the D810.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  16. Thom Hogan has this to say:
    • Note that some form of noise reduction begins working at ISO 1250 or higher for all D810 JPEG images even if you set this option to Off.

17. Didn't check jpegs, only raw. Will look at jepg when I get home from warbler shooting.

18. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    Good information here. Since the D7200 seemed to stick to user selection of 'off', I thought Nikon had given up on the idea. Surprised to see the D810 doing it also.
    I'm happy with the EXIF information reported by both View-NXi and NX-D; don't see the need for any other program.
    Just checked the JPEGs from that set; View-NXi reports the >1600 ISO ones as 'low' (in-camera NR).

19. The D810 does NOT in fact do it (high iso noise reduction = off) in nefs as well as jpegs @ iso 1600 & 12800. Used EXIFTOOL to view these values. As I mentioned above, my D800 does set high iso noise reduction to "minimal" @iso 1600 so if it happens, EXIFTOOL reports it.

20. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    Noted. I did also note that any NR set in-camera shows up in NX-D editing settings, and can be set back to zero. So the pure RAW is essentially still available. When I do use NR in editing, it is always 'Best Quality 2013', not the default 'fast'.