D850 & 200-500mm AF Tune

Real Name
Andy
FWIW, I am in favor of AF fine tuning DSLRs. Not that I enjoy the tedious task, but I do think it can make a noticeable difference in sharpness if any mirror or sensor imperfections are present. The practice of AF fine tuning also helps you discover if any misalignments should arise over time.

I posted this on the subject not long ago:
https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/af-calibration-no-longer-needed.317945/

Real Name
Andy
Check out Steve Perry's video.....Nikon's Auto Focus Fine Tune
Having read Steve Perry's three e-books and seen many of his videos, I find him to be a wealth of great advice. The point he makes regarding fine tuning each lens to each body resounds strongly with me. Paraphrasing, he says that as long as you've gone to the expense of acquiring good equipment, why not take the extra step to make sure it performs at its very best.
I for one don't like Nikon's built in AFT. I use a lensalign and AFT manually. I have yet to have regular agreement with Nikon's values.
Every now and then, I try the AFT feature and it does come close to the results of the more rigorous calibration done by Reikan FoCal, but only after multiple attempts. One advantage of using third party software such as LensAlign or FoCal is that it yields more consistent results than the auto fine tune feature in Nikon cameras. Another is that the results are accompanied by data that you can review to increase your confidence that a valid adjustment was found.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I for one don't like Nikon's built in AFT. I use a lensalign and AFT manually. I have yet to have regular agreement with Nikon's values.
Lens Align is a great tool. In fact, Steve Perry uses it also. The results with Lens Align and Nikon's AFFT are often very close to each other. This is based upon spending HOURS fine tuning my 600mm using both methods. LOL!

I like AFT with lensalign because I can see that my focus point is at the center of DOF as it should be. You can use these automated methods until the cows come home, but unless you verify the results manually you'll never know where your focal point is with respect to DOF. And if you're going to verify your results manually why not just do it that way in the first place?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom