D850 and the D500 Meet Diving Ospreys

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mark_smith, Nov 30, 2017.

1. mark_smith

mark_smith

Oct 24, 2017
    Florida
    Mark Smith
    I have some great opportunities on the east coast of Florida. I found a large group of very hungry osprey who really made for some challenging photography. I had my D850 and my D500 with me. I shot both camera bodies using my 200-500 handheld. I made a short video of the results.

In the end, I preferred the D500. It was faster, held focus better and got me more keepers.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Very informative and well edited video Mark. It alas proves to show you should always keep :unsure: look around you or you surely will miss something!:joyful: Thank you for sharing it with us.(y)
    Mike

3. mark_smith

mark_smith

Oct 24, 2017
    Florida
    Mark Smith
    Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

4. Awesome video, Mark! I just learned a lot about osprey behavior.

Good to see a hands-on comparison between D850 & D500 for action, too. I'm a bit surprised that you thought the D850 was slightly weaker for AF - it has the same AF module and gets high praise in most reviews.

I don't have the D850 yet (waiting for prices to drop a bit), but I concur the D500 is absolutely awesome for action :)

Cheers

Mike

5. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing!

6. mark_smith

mark_smith

Oct 24, 2017
    Florida
    Mark Smith
    Thanks for watching. I'm not sure if it was weaker or just a problem of the slower frame rate. I need to grip to bump up the frame rate and try again.

7. Fantastic video, Mark. I was much more interested in the bird behavior than the camera performance and you documented that very well.

8. Hi Mark,

Nice video, and some really nice shots of the osprey. I enjoyed the video comparison, having both cameras myself I tend to switch more based on my mood than anything real. That said, for me, I tend not to use the fastest frame rates most of the time using continuous low set at about 4fps. But you are right when you need 10FPS then you really need the D500. I like the D850 for birds in flight more than the D500 as I tend to not cut the wings off with the bigger frame.

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

"mom gets to use the camera I am not using..." -Georgie Beagle.

9. mark_smith

mark_smith

Oct 24, 2017
    Florida
    Mark Smith
    Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed the video. Thanks for watching and posting!

10. mark_smith

mark_smith

Oct 24, 2017
    Florida
    Mark Smith
    Thanks! Good point on not cutting the bird's wings off. It is easy to do on the D500.

11. cjackson

cjackson

Jan 13, 2009
    USA
    Great video, Mark. What AF Area Mode did you use?

12. mark_smith

mark_smith

Oct 24, 2017
    Florida
    Mark Smith
    Thanks. For the D500 I used group and single point. Mixing it up as I went along. For the D850 I used D9 and single point.

13. cjackson

cjackson

Jan 13, 2009
    USA
    Thanks for the info, Mark. I'm getting ready to do some bird shooting.