D850 focus stack - near macro grinder disks

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by fishbio, Oct 7, 2017.

1. The new grinding disks for my coffee grinder arrived today and I decided to do a focus stack using the D850 focus shift. Nikon 70-200 @ ~180mm f5.6 Canon 500D closeup lens 60 images shot at astepwidth of 5 for scale, teh disks are 58mm in diameter. Capture D-NX, Lightroom and Combine ZP

Larry

New-Out99999-Edit.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Nice! Focus stacking is a great feature on the D850 and looks like you've got it figured out!

3. Nicely done Larry ....I'm assuming that there would have to be a great deal of hit and miss and then the need for keeping a record of appropriate settings for the different settings..

4. I agree with Bob - very fine work Larry.

Bob - it's really simple. Just set the focus at the front of the object. Pick a focus width = 5 and a guess of the number of shots. Try 10. Start the focus stacking. When it is finished look through the viewfinder or at the last image on the monitor and assess is the focus has racked through the subject. If not repeat - the camera will continue from where it left off.

5. I tried that with a landscape picked 5 as the step and 10 shots . shot in RAW...But...only a couple of shots were activated..Then when I turned the set up around and tried a scene behind me..the camera took 5 images. So I'm guessing it may depend on what you're shooting as far as what step to use and how many shots to take. I think I need to try some macros tomorrow.

6. I think it's amazing what the new cameras will do. Your image really makes excellent use of this feature.

7. Very cool Larry. Something for me to play with on a lousy weather day.

8. I made some tests on that Bob. As far as I can tell the focus width is the amount of DoF overlap between successive images in the stack, so it is a quality setting. For landscapes the stacking stops when the lens focus gets to infinity, which probably explains why you only got a couple of shots, especially if you were shooting at a small aperture. As far as I can tell the algorithm uses aperture and focal length to determine how many focus motor steps = the focus width (ie 5). It then iterates, making the same number of steps between exposures. As the distance increases each step increases the focus distance more but the DoF is also increasing at the same rate.

9. Thanks Rory....surprisingly I actually understood that!

10. Now that's impressive. Not many can interpret Roryish.

11. weerterbos

weerterbos

Feb 11, 2016
    This is a great example what this function can do. Is this the end of PC lenses for product shots?

I like the automated function for 'astro' in the K1. Using the vibration reduction 'motors' to steer the sensor so that it follows the sky for a few seconds. One of the reasons I think Nikon should introduce VR inside the body (and my manual 500mm P ;) )

12. Cool shot Larry. You've mastered the art and science.

13. Excellent example of the capabilities of the camera. I'm curious about the area in the top left of the photo where the background detail is missing. My first thought was that it's just out of focus, but the back edge of the bottom disk is sharp. What caused that? It certainly does not harm the photo, but I just find it curious.

Looks like a high-end coffee grinder.

14. Thanks Jim

The camera wasn't square to the background which was farther away on the left side. This wasn't a particularly careful setup and I shot with window light and a couple of room lights. The fully electronic shutter (why they call it silent is bafflng to me even if it is quiet) is a real advantage when shooting with low light as you can shoot with low ISO and as long a shutter speed as you need.

It's an older, manual Mazzer mini commercial grinder, one of those items you buy once instead of a series of throw away $40-$100 coffee choppers or grinders which don't work very well for espresso machines anyway.

15. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    @fishbio@fishbio – is that area also possibly an artifact of how the software selects and masks areas to blend them together? I am seeing this in Photoshop CC's blending process.

16. I don't think so. The backround on that side was quite a bit farther away.

Larry

17. And to great effect. Very nice composition as well.