D850 images suddenly dark

Hi, I just got a d850 two weeks ago, and am fairly new to photography. This camera is beyond amazing, but suddenly today all the images were so dark they could barely be seen. All pictures were equally dark, even though I was shooting in bright sunlight. I took a bunch of shots in auto iso, and the camera seemed to be selecting appropriate isos, but all came out dark. I then tried many manuel iso settings with the same result. If I cranked it up to 10,000 I could see the image horribly exposed, but anything less than that was dark. Tried two lenses with the same results.
I really don't want to send it to Nikon when I just got it. Has this ever happened to you? Can you think of anything I can try? Based on everything that has happened, this seems to be a camera issue, not a user issue.

Have you tried manually setting an exposure that would overexpose the scene? Something like 30 seconds at f/4, ISO 1600 for an image captured in daylight?

Glenn
Yes I have. It came out with an overexposed quality yet still dark. And up until today it was working perfectly.

Can you post a picture preferably in raw format? From there we can look at the exif data which will show all the camera settings.
Yes I can work on that. Thank you so much! I'm new to transferring giant files but I am learning.

But another possible clue is that when auto iso is on, the word "auto" flashes on and off continually on the top lcd screen. Is this normal?

And the word 'auto' also flashes continually in the viewfinder when auto iso is on. Is the continual flashing normal?

Sounds like your auto iso isn't set to the base iso.

While in auto iso push the iso button and rotate the back thumb wheel until the iso reads 64.
I will give it another try. I do have the minimum ISO set at 64 and the maximum set at 6400. But maybe tomorrow I will have fresh eyes. Also, I will try resetting the default settings and seeing what happens. I really appreciate the help from you and the others on this forum. Thank you!

when auto iso is on, the word "auto" flashes on and off continually on the top lcd screen. Is this normal?
And the word 'auto' also flashes continually in the viewfinder when auto iso is on. Is the continual flashing normal?

That's what happens when the Auto ISO is enabled on my Z6. The indicator also flashes on the camera's rear LCD. EDIT: See post #24 for my correction to that inaccurate information.

The easy way to learn about details like this is to open the PDF manual pertaining to your camera and search, as an example, on Auto ISO.

Last edited:
Also, I will try resetting the default settings and seeing what happens.

If you saved your custom settings to a memory card when the camera was working as you expected, it would be better to load those settings into your camera rather than reset to the default settings. If doing so doesn't suffice, then reset to the default settings.

Be aware that when resetting, you will lose the custom settings that are not saved to the memory card. You would need to look up those settings in your manual. Once you've determined the settings that aren't saved, it's a good idea to record them. Once you've done so, if you really have to reset the camera to the default settings, you can restore your custom settings by loading most of them from the memory card and recreating the settings that aren't saved without having to remember what they are. I learned the hard way just a few days ago that the My Menu settings and the User Settings on my Z6 apparently aren't saved to the memory card.

Last edited:
That's what happens when the Auto ISO is enabled on my Z6. The indicator also flashes on the camera's rear LCD.

The easy way to learn about details like this is to open the PDF manual pertaining to your camera and search, as an example, on Auto ISO.
Yes I tried searching many places including my printed owners manual and online before posting my issue. But I do appreciate what you're saying. Thank you.

If you have saved your custom settings to a memory card, it would be better to load those settings into your camera rather than reset to the default settings. If doing so doesn't suffice, then reset to the default settings.

Be aware that when resetting, you will lose the custom settings that are not saved to the memory card. You would need to look up those settings in your manual. Once you've determined the settings that aren't saved, it's a good idea to record them. Once you've done so, if you really have to reset the camera to the default settings, you can restore your custom savings by loading most of them from the memory card and recreating the settings that aren't saved without having to remember what they are. I learned the hard way just a few days ago that the My Menu settings and the User Settings on my Z6 apparently aren't saved to the memory card.
That sounds like great advice. Thank you so much!

I tried searching many places including my printed owners manual

It's a lot easier searching for a term using the PDF version rather than the printed version of your camera's manual.

It can be difficult sometimes knowing exactly what to search on. Sometimes I find the info easier using the camera's manual and sometimes easier using Thom Hogan's Guide to my camera. Consider purchasing his Guide to your camera.

It's a lot easier searching for a term using the PDF version rather than the printed version of your camera's manual.

It can be difficult sometimes knowing exactly what to search on. Sometimes I find the info easier using the camera's manual and sometimes easier using Thom Hogan's Guide to my camera. Consider purchasing his Guide to your camera.
I will do that. Thank you!

That sounds like great advice. Thank you so much!
Turns out it might have been the user after all. I checked the exposure compensation, and whalla, I think I found the problem. I will confirm tomorrow when Im awake, but in the meantime, thank you so much for the advice and willingness to help!

You accidentally lowered you exposure compensation. We've all been there. It's actually one of the first things I check when I turn my camera on since I tend to adjust EV often.

A factory reset is always an option to you if you ever get into a situation you cannot figure out and need to use the camera. You may lose you custom information, but I doubt a new user with a new camera has many custom functions set.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom