D850 images suddenly dark

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
So glad you got it sorta out! And check out those eBooks and videos by Steve Perry. He is an excellent teacher - very easy to understand. And he has a nice sense of humor also!

Even pro's ( an those who think they are) can learn a LOT from him! Case in point: A couple of weeks ago, I had an odd problem with my D850. I figured out what was happening, but could NOT figure out how to fix it. I checked with a couple of folks here. No luck. So I finally sent a question in to NPS (Nikon Professional Services). THEY could not ID the problem! :eek: I sent the exact same info to Steve Perry and he quickly responded confirming my diagnosis of the problem and telling me exactly how to fix it!

So glad you got it sorta out! And check out those eBooks and videos by Steve Perry. He is an excellent teacher - very easy to understand. And he has a nice sense of humor also!

Even pro's ( an those who think they are) can learn a LOT from him! Case in point: A couple of weeks ago, I had an odd problem with my D850. I figured out what was happening, but could NOT figure out how to fix it. I checked with a couple of folks here. No luck. So I finally sent a question in to NPS (Nikon Professional Services). THEY could not ID the problem! :eek: I sent the exact same info to Steve Perry and he quickly responded confirming my diagnosis of the problem and telling me exactly how to fix it!
I have Steve's ebooks and follow his blogs and videos religiously. I didn't realize he would extend his services to problem solving. Nice!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I have Steve's ebooks and follow his blogs and videos religiously. I didn't realize he would extend his services to problem solving. Nice!
Post on his forum. I'm sure when he has recovered from COVID he will be active again on his Back Country Gallery forum.

Exposure compensation is a helpful but potentialy dangerous function.
If you set it, then forget to zero it out, your following shots could be royally messed up. :eek: Been there, done that. :(
Whenever I use the camera I "try" to remember to zero out the EC after the shoot. One of my tasks when I get home is to check that the EC = 0. I do same at the start of a shoot, in case I forgot to do it after the last shoot.
Add zeroing the EC to your post shoot check list.
I will follow your suggestion. Missed some great shots because I didn't do that.

Real Name
Tom M
The good news is that even if you make the same mistake again (it's easy to make that mistake), the next time your exposures are out of whack you'll know right away to check your exposure compensation setting.
Same problem... and not a newbie.
D850- 500 PF
Even if I bump up over exposure to 1.7.. iso at 1400 invariant.
Trying 64.

TDM, post an image and we can help.
Turn off auto everything. Manual shutterspeed, manual aperture, fixed iso.
Try a shot at sunny 16 settings. For example, take a shot mid day iso 400, shutterspeed 1/400, f16. In bright mid day sun. Your exposure should be in the ballpark.
Cameras and lenses can break, stuff does happen- but much more commonly it is a setting somewhere.
But again to test, turn off auto everything in camera- try known settings- and check the histogram
gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom