D850 LCD Screen Not Illuminating

Has anyone had this issue? I had my D850 on a Tripod using a Remote Shutter Release and after a large number of actuations the LCD Screen wouldn’t work. I went to check the histogram of a photo sequence and LCD Screen wouldn’t illuminate. Info Button, Menu Button, Live View or Photo Review Button nothing would illuminate on the LCD Screen. I powered off and on a few times with no change in the LCD Screen. I then removed the Battery which had a 3/4 charge and that action corrected the issue. I continued with another 50 photos some in burst mode and the LCD worked okay. The Camera is still under Warranty and I’m asking if anyone has incurred an issue of a blank LCD Screen?

I had the same issue. Though I described it as non functioning buttons. When it happened to me the camera would still shoot but couldn't change ss or aperture if I'm remembering correctly. Nikon repaired it under warranty. They replaced something which I don't remember what.

Occasionally this happens on my Sony A7R IV, which I have set up so that the LCD screen displays when I'm not looking through the EVF. Occasionally dust or maybe an eyelash, stray hair or something else gets caught in the eyecup area around the EVF, which is where the sensor is, too, and all I need to do is to use my trusty Giottos Rocket Blower to blow away any errant dust or whatever is blocking the sensor, and voila! Back in business with the LCD screen.

I had the same issue. Though I described it as non functioning buttons. When it happened to me the camera would still shoot but couldn't change ss or aperture if I'm remembering correctly. Nikon repaired it under warranty. They replaced something which I don't remember what.
Thank You Dan for the reply. Under 2,000 clicks on my D850 with first year Warranty Coverage until August 1st. Removing the Battery cleared the problem and today I reviewed the Menu Options for LCD playback "time options" and they all have the same parameters previously programed. If the issue returns I'll send it in for service. Just curious if this is a known issue on D850's or other like Nikon DSLR's.

I've not seen anything about it being a known issue. But... when it happened to me I was anticipating a long discussion with Nikon trying to convince them that there was an issue. That's been my limited experience with them on much more straightforward issues. When I had this problem it was very intermittent. When I contacted them and listed the buttons that were having problems they immediately sent me the info to send it in for repair. So I suspected it to be a known issue but not common enough for them to issue an advisory.

If I was home I'd dig up the paperwork which said what was fixed. I tried looking it up in my online Nikon account but it's not there. Hope you get it resolved.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thank You Dan for the reply. Under 2,000 clicks on my D850 with first year Warranty Coverage until August 1st. Removing the Battery cleared the problem and today I reviewed the Menu Options for LCD playback "time options" and they all have the same parameters previously programed. If the issue returns I'll send it in for service. Just curious if this is a known issue on D850's or other like Nikon DSLR's.
FWIW....I have well over 5K clicks on mine....never an issue. Never heard of this as an issue until this post.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom