1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D850 Meets the Milky Way at Great Sand Dunes National Park

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by mark_smith, Jul 31, 2018.

1. mark_smith

mark_smith

Oct 24, 2017
    Florida
    Mark Smith
    Climbing to the top of the tallest sand dunes in North America in order to see the night sky is totally worth it. I was blown away by the night sky but was just as surprised when I saw the dunes in first light. It was an amazing experience. I made a video of the journey.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  2. That's some great work, Mark. I'm a bit biased because I grew up close to the dunes, but I think it's an under-appreciated natural feature in a state full of scenic wonders.

Sean

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. It’s always a treat to see you have posted another of your fantastic videos. This latest one is just super with night views that are out of this world. Thanks for sharing Mark.

4. Mark, great video, enjoyed your narrative too. I’d like to see the upcoming night sky one you mentioned. Hope you post it here.

5. mark_smith

mark_smith

Oct 24, 2017
    Florida
    Mark Smith
    Thanks. I think you have to stand in those dunes to fully appreciate them. I agree!

6. mark_smith

mark_smith

Oct 24, 2017
    Florida
    Mark Smith
    Thanks for watching and for the great compliments.

7. mark_smith

mark_smith

Oct 24, 2017
    Florida
    Mark Smith
    Thank you. I will post it here when I get it done. I just need a clear moonless night to get some more shots!

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Great work Mark!

9. Great work and thanks so much for sharing. I'll also be looking forward to your suggestions on night/star shots. I tried some recently in Monument Valley and was a little disappointed with my results. I need to learn more!!

Ken

10. mark_smith

mark_smith

Oct 24, 2017
    Florida
    Mark Smith
    Thanks!

11. mark_smith

mark_smith

Oct 24, 2017
    Florida
    Mark Smith
    Thanks for watching and for the compliments. I am hoping to get the night sky somewhere from the 6th to the 13th of August. There should be no moon on those nights for most of the evening.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.