D850 Webcam

Tell us more. You use Nikon's software and what else? Mac or PC?
Yes, I'm using Nikon's webcam utility (currently in beta testing). Simply install it on your computer, and whatever video conferencing software you're using will see your DLSR as viable webcam option. As far as the lens is concerned I'm using the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 G2 on my D850, typically around 35mm. I also run audio off camera with a Rode shotgun mic directly into the PC.

I recently heard a Nikon rep indicate that it's now available for Mac too, but I don't see it as a download option on Nikon's site yet.

Personally, I set up in my blacksmith shop since I have plenty of room out there. With a fire going and all the equipment it provides a unique background that everyone thinks is a digital replacement background.

Real Name
Charlie Gjersvik
I downloaded the Nikon software and it worked well on a 2020 MacBook Pro with Zoom. However, I cannot get it to work with FaceTime. We are anticipating spending the holidays virtually with the grandkids and this would be a good way to show a larger area than the computer camera allows. Set it up in a corner and stream the action. I’d like to know if anyone got their Nikon DSLR to work with FaceTime and what settings you used. I’m using the latest operating system and a D850. Thanks in advance.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
The Nikon WebCam download page explicitly names what it is compatible with. FaceTime is not on that list.

Open any one of the compatible video conferencing software (Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Google Meet, Facebook Messenger and Skype)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Andy
I tried the webcam utility with a D750 and 35mm f/1.8G tethered to a mid-2015 MacBook Pro for a Zoom conference this morning. First impressions (YMMV, of course):
  1. It takes a few moments for the image to begin transmitting. Once it starts doing so, control over camera settings is lost (AFAIK - possible user error)
  2. Other participants received a smaller image of me surrounded by a thick black border. (Again, this may be the result of a setting that I have overlooked on the camera)
  3. Even with EV +1.0, exposure looked a bit dark.
  4. Separation from the background (which was very close behind me) at f/1.8 was certainly better than it is with the laptop's built-in camera.
  5. However, even small movements towards or away from the camera were more than the AF could handle, so unless I stayed perfectly still, I was OOF.
Overall, I expected something closer to plug-and-play functionality. Not sure I'll bother with it again for a Zoom conference, with one possible exception:

To share a scene with others remotely. I can imagine great value in using the webcam utility to provide journalistic live coverage of an event, particularly if:
  1. Additional maneuverability is desired (i.e., no need to blindly aim a laptop in the direction of moving/changing subject matter)
  2. A more optimized field of view is needed than the built-in camera can provide (i.e., to isolate subject matter with a telephoto, or to bring in a wider view without panning)
But for most videoconferencing use cases, I think the webcam utility + tethered camera is lots of additional effort for essentially no gain.

I used a Z6 and the 24-70 f/4 @ 24. Camera controls worked and the image changed as I shifted settings (ISOP, shutter, aperture, focus, zoom) . Used eye AF and it seemed to follow along. I played with using a wireless shutter to focus manually, but haven't done so on a call. It did work.

Real Name
Andy
I used a Z6 and the 24-70 f/4 @ 24. Camera controls worked and the image changed as I shifted settings (ISOP, shutter, aperture, focus, zoom) . Used eye AF and it seemed to follow along. I played with using a wireless shutter to focus manually, but haven't done so on a call. It did work.
Could other participants see that you were transmitting a noticeably improved image compared to your computer’s built in camera?

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Nikon Webcam Utility 1.0.0 came out in November. I installed it and tested it with my Z7. Zoom, Google Meet, ECAMM Live Stream, Screenflow see it. Skype does not even though the Nikon web page says it should. Does anyone else have it working with Skype?

macOS Mojave, Nikon Webcam Utility 1.0.0, all Privacy settings permit access to camera and microphone.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
It also works with Facebook Messenger video chats. We have set up a room for a family Thanksgiving toast with members from across the country.
I really want it to work with Skype because I use that to join as guest to live streams and can share my screen too. I might have to download OBS and play with it since it is free.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom