1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D90 + 17-55 f/2.8 DX

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Contourrob217, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Not sure if this is the correct section for this post. If not, moderator please move.

I have a D90 and have the opportunity to purchase a 17-55 f/2.8 for $900. I would most likely sell my kit lens (17-105 VR). My lens combo would then be:

17-55 f/2.8 DX
    35 f/1.8 DX
    70-300 VR

Please comment on both the price of a (claimed) excellent condition used 17-55 f/2.8 and how the combo of lenses seems for someone who wants a versatile lens kit for some low-light shooting with the ability to get some zoom shots (mainly in daylight)

Thanks!

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Hi Rob, this probabally isn't the right forum for this kind of request (Lens Lust would be a better choice, however I'm sure the mods will get it moved).

Based on the selling prices in the UK market $900 seems like a fair price for 17-55mm. It'd make a very nice partner to your existing prime/zoom setup.

3. Thanks Robert.

MODS - PLEASE MOVE THIS (IF APPROPRIATE) TO LENS LUST

4. Rob, I currently have the 17-55 lens, have been using it for several years on my D70s. I love it. I think it's the best DX mid-range zoom out there by Nikon right now. It's tack sharp at 2.8, it's fairly nice and wide at 17mm (plenty wide for landscapes), long enough (just) for portraits, and it focuses plenty close. The $900 is almost exactly what I would sell mine for if I had to right now.

5. Thanks Shaun, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

6. On Craigslist around here, 17-55's tend to get advertised for $900 to $1,050. Those at $975 to $1,050 seem to hang around a lot longer and probably get haggled down.

$900 for a used 17-55 with hood in excellent condition seems like a good price. In the for sale forum here last year, I think they used to go for $850-$875 including shipping and PayPal. This year, the street price of the lens has jumped up at least $100. So used prices seem to have climbed as a result, e.g. $900 to $975.

7. Great. The seller states that the lens is in like new condition, barely used, and comes with all accessories, box, hood, etc....

They are sending me a couple pics of the lens (I'd like to see a couple to see if the casing has any scratches, noticeable damage, etc.) but another plus is they live close enough for me to go drive and take a look at it in person, attach it to my camera, and fire off some shots with it before purchasing. $900 seemed reasonable, but you folks are the experts and have been at this a LOT longer than I have.

I think the 17-55 will be a nice replacement for my 18-105 kit lens since I have the 70-300 VR for the longer zoom stuff. I have plans for an 85 f/1.4 for portrait work and probably a 10-24 later down the road for real wide angle stuff.

8. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    The 17-55 is a truly great lens, and the price seems decent too. 17-55, 35/1.8, and 70-300 is a great kit too.

9. Hi Rob

That's basically identical to my kit, and I'm very satisfied with the versatility since I got (pretty much) everything covered. The 17-55 stays on my D300 about 95% of the time... this is my workhorse/favorite lens and is truly a remarkable piece of Nikon engineering. I stop down to f/4 for most people shots and the sharpness and detail is just phenomenal. This is my main lens for people photography.. you'll love this lens for weddings!

I use the 35 1.8 when it gets darker.. it's remarkably sharp wide open but just like the 17-55, I found that the sharpest spot for this lens is at f/2.8- f/4. I use it when I want to "go light".

The 70-300 VR doesn't get a lot of use compared to the first two glasses, but it's pretty darn sharp and versatile.. especially stopped down to around f/8. It's not a fast glass by any means so you'll have to understand its limitations. It's excellent for wildlife but I mainly use this telephoto for landscapes.. it gives you that compressed look that is so amazing!

The 17-55 for $900 seems like a good deal. The moment you hold this lens, you'd say.. damn why is this thing so heavy? lol It's a solid chunk of pro glass!

Have fun with it. You'll love the 17-55.

10. And to add to the reasons to buy it - the cheaper Tamron 17-50 F2.8 works well on my D50 but gives the ''F--'' error on my D90 occasionally - I'm told it's a common fault with 3rd party lenses so while you can - Go with Nikon lenses !

11. Thanks everyone. I think I'm sold.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.