D90 and D7000 Spec Differences

I like the parenthetical comparisons with the D90 and will also add that feature to the D80-D7000 list.

Bill, in light of the new parenthetical comparisons, the clarification of the "minutely smaller sensor size" shown in parenthesis might now be confusing. If you figure out a good way to eliminate the potential confusion, I'll copy it to the D80-D7000 list.

Bill, in light of the new parenthetical comparisons, the clarification of the "minutely smaller sensor size" shown in parenthesis might now be confusing. If you figure out a good way to eliminate the potential confusion, I'll copy it to the D80-D7000 list.

DxO Mark give the crop factors as 1.5 for both D80 and D90, but 1.53 for the D7000.

I'll think about it. It may make sense to do it with this thread vs. the D80 one because the D90 is still a current model (at least for the next month or so -- I think Nikon is running out the D90 stock and then it's gone).

My concern would be too much clutter in each item.

Thanks for all your hard work. This really makes the buying process much easier given the prices of the 2 cameras. Pretty cool that us Canadians can get the cameras cheaper, for a change!

D90 price/history
02664-Nikon-D90-price-graph.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D7000 price/history

Attachments

• 02664-Nikon-D90-price-graph.png
    02664-Nikon-D90-price-graph.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 41
Added crop factor, start-up time, shutter lag time, and rubberized front and rear command dials to be consistent with the D80-D7000 comparison.

Added:

Dedicated Movie-Record button (D90: uses "OK" button to record)

Slightly larger buttons for Playback, "MENU", Help/Protect or "WB", thumbnail/playback zoom out or "ISO", playback zoom in or "QUAL"

Playback button, delete button, AE-L/AF-L button, and Multi Selector are inset in raised bezels

Speaker located on rear to the left of the Main command dial (D90: under memory card door on side)

The new look of your list is much more elegant and sophisticated, Bill. Thanks for making me look bad. :biggrin:

Ah, no biggie, Mike. Figured I'd play with vBulletin formatting. Don't know how to make a second level (nested) bullet, though.

It's pretty simple to add the bullets, though. You can "Go Advanced" in the editor. Then select the text to be bulleted (it can be a few lines). Click the list button in the toolbar and it'll add the text. It's easier if you select to the end of the last line (and not the following blank line, else it'll delete it). It's just a bit tedious to do it for all the list groups.

Last edited by a moderator:
Minor update using Nikon-supplied information:

1,050 shots per charge (D90: 850) (source: Nikon website, using CIPA guidelines)

(Mike, it doesn't appear that Nikon quoted the numbers the same way with the D80.)

FWIW, Nikon says the D300s has 950 shots per charge. I only mention it (in this post, not on the list) because I recall someone saying the D300s would have superior battery performance than the D7000.

Reworded:

Continuous focusing (AF-C, or "continuous servo AF") can be configured for focus priority (captures the image only if it is in focus) as well as release priority (the image is captured even if the subject is not in focus) (D90: only release priority is available, so there is no selectable setting)

Added:

AF-S or "single servo AF" can be configured for focus priority (captures the image only if it is in focus) as well as release priority (the image is captured even if the subject is not in focus) (D90: only focus priority is available, so there is no selectable setting)

"Focus Tracking with Lock-On": controls how autofocus adjusts to sudden large changes in the distance to the subject when AF-C is selected or continuous servo autofocus is selected when the camera is in AF-A mode for viewfinder photography -- off or 1-5 "wait time" use cases include an object passing between you and the subject

Can set "Number of Focus points" for manual focus confirmation -- 11 or 39 --this controls how many and which AF points are used for the "green dot" confirmation of focus while manually focusing

ISO can be set in 1/3 or 1/2 increments (D90: 1/3 only)

Copy selected image(s) or folder between cards

"After Delete" setting -- configure what happens after an image is deleted: 1) show the next image; 2) show the previous image, or 3) show the next image in the direction the user was last reviewing photos

I added a section for "Shooting Menu" as I wasn't sure how else to group the following ...

Option to restore all shooting menu options to their default values

Auto distortion control (decided to put it here as it not only affects image editing, and is set here)

When "High ISO NR" is set to "Off", noise reduction is only applied at ISO 1600 and higher (D90: the same setting only applies noise reduction at Hi 0.3 -- boosted to ISO 4000 -- and higher

It would be great to see some comparable images. Either way cant wait for my D7K to come in. Its going to be massive upgrade over my D60

D7000 added safety latch to battery compartment

Added, thank you.

Other changes:

Clarified wording of the following to reflect pitch levels:

In-focus beep has three audible volume levels and two pitch levels (D90: only one volume/pitch when beep is audible)

Monitor off delay is separately configurable for playback, menus, information display, image review, and live review (D90: only the defaults have different times, and any manually configured time applies equally to all functions)

Missed the distinction from the D80-D700 list:
Depth-of-field preview button can be customized (one more customizable button than the D90 -- both cameras have customizable FUNC buttons)

This one is a bit wordy but harder to explain. It's different than the "User Comment" that both cameras support.

Copyright information can be configured for Artist up to 36 characters, and Copyright up to 54 characters -- information is written to files unless the feature is toggled off without wiping out the configured information

Basically the manual says that if you lend the camera to someone else, toggle off the automatic recording to files. When you get it back, you can toggle it back on without re-entering the information.

Wow, the price of the D90 sent up quite a bit from October to Christmas... here's hoping the D7000 doesn't follow the same trend. :eek:

I am beginning to wonder about this trend. I have spoken to 2 die hard Nikon fans, one who actually owns the D90 and both of them do not recall the D90 going up in price for the first few months.

Can anyone who followed its pricing chime in?

I've noticed the place where I bought my D7000 body last week upped their price $30 since I bought mine. I think that was just an adjustment to match other local retailers though.

When comparing the D80 and D7000 manuals, both identify and show the same battery chamber safety latch. What is the difference between the D90 and the D7000?

INSIDE the battery compartment itself, there is a spring-loaded "catch" that keeps the battery in the body until it is released. This is because the battery itself is "spring-loaded" also and would pop out as soon as you open the door if not trapped inside.

Looking at pics I found of the D90, it appears the DOOR is safety latched, but not the battery itself.

INSIDE the battery compartment itself, there is a spring-loaded "catch" that keeps the battery in the body until it is released. This is because the battery itself is "spring-loaded" also and would pop out as soon as you open the door if not trapped inside.

This is an addition from the D90 (I had one).

I don't see this on the list and it's minor, but I'll mention it. On the D7000 one can change the file naming prefix. This is a real convenience for me as I can instantly distinguish files from by wife's D60 (DSC_XXXX) and the D7000, which I have changed to JRT_XXXX (my initials).

The D200 I used for three years had that feature and I really missed it on the D90.

By the way, has anyone else noticed the nice D7000/D90 feature comparison list on the Imaging Resource site?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom