1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D90 Available for Pre-order @ Circuit City

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by ultimind, Aug 26, 2008.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c=1&searchType=user&keyword=D90&searchSection=All&go.x=0&go.y=0#prodspecs

Link is now down.

Here is the specs as per JohnR's post below:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2008
  2. I bet we're going to see a D3X by the end of this year.

3. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    I wonder if the MB-D80 grip will fit on it.

4. So how is the D300 different from this D90?! Looks the exact same at first glance. Am I missing something?

5. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    The D300 has 51 focus points, not 11. It will shoot up to 9fps with the battery grip, weather sealed body, sounds like a different metering system - I don't think the D300 does "Scene recognition" whatever that actually means on the D90 (good or bad), no dedicated AF-On button on the D90 and probably a whole host of things I can't think of off the top of my head.

6. Aleksey

Aleksey

Mar 10, 2008
    New York
    Does D90 has a built in motor, or not??????????? That is probably what missing. Everybody think that it has the motor but there is nothing about it in a spec's so far....

7. JCole

JCole Guest

And POOF..... it's gone now :-(

8. Good thing I still have it up. Here is a copy/paste of the ad:

Nikon D90 12.3-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens
    Model #: NIK D90KIT18105VR
    [Nikon D90 12.3-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with 18-105mm...]

• 12.3-megapixel CMOS sensor
    • 3.0" high-resolution LCD
    • 11-area auto-focus
    • Live preview function
    • HD movie mode
    • 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 lens
    Price: $1299.99

Release date: 09/05/2008

Product description
    Features

12.3-megapixel CMOS sensor: This Nikon D90 camera body features a DX-format CMOS image sensor that provides the highest level of performance. Its integrated A/D converter enables selection between 12-bit and 14-bit conversions. The sensor design supports the broad light sensitivity range of ISO 200 to ISO 3200, and features refined high-ISO noise reduction.

3.0" LCD monitor: A high-resolution, super-density, 920,000-dot LCD monitor makes critical image review possible. This monitor also allows ultra-wide, 170-degree viewing in all directions.

Live view: You’ll also have a live preview of your subject, giving you point-and-shoot feel with the quality of a DSLR.

11-area AF: The sensor module offers an 11-area AF that ensures consistently fast and precise focus lock under varying shooting conditions. The wide area AF system gives greater compositional freedom when shooting sports and action.

4.5fps continuous shooting: Capture fast action and fleeting expressions. The D90 can shoot up to 4.5 frames per second.

Scene Recognition System: This system recognizes subject and scene conditions prior to capturing the shot. Enjoy improved subject tracking and subject identification for rapid and accurate focus area selection. Highlight analysis optimizes auto exposure by providing more accurate control. Light source inference studies both subject and pattern to achieve optimal white balance.

HD movie mode: Capture your surroundings in cinematic quality. The D90 features the D-Movie mode, which shoots HD movie with sound at 24fps.

D-Lighting enhancement: This technology compensates for underexposed images or insufficient flash by automatically adding light and detail to selected shots where needed, without affecting properly exposed areas.

In-camera editing menu: The in-camera editing features include Nikon D-lighting (that adds light and detail to selected shots only where needed), red-eye correction, image trimming, image overlay, monochrome black and white, sepia and cyanotype along with skylight, warm tone and custom color filter effects.

Lens included: You'll be ready to go in no time with the included 5.8x AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens.

Manufacturer's description

Fusing 12.3-megapixel image quality inherited from the award-winning D300 with groundbreaking features, including Live View and a cinematic-quality 24-fps D-Movie Mode, the Nikon D90 exceeds the demands of passionate photographers. Outfit includes the 5.8x, AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED lens with VR image stabilization and legendary NIKKOR optical quality.

ENGINEERED FOR ARTISTRY. UNLEASH YOUR POTENTIAL.

• 12.3-effective megapixel DX-format CMOS imaging sensor
    • 5.8x AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens included
    • D-Movie Mode — Cinematic 24fps HD with sound
    • One-button Live View
    • Continuous shooting as fast as 4.5 frames per second
    • 12.3-effective megapixel DX-format CMOS imaging sensor
    • 5.8x AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens included
    • Continuous shooting as fast as 4.5 frames-per-second
    • D-Movie Mode — Cinematic 24fps HD with sound
    • Low noise ISO sensitivity from 200 to 3200
    • 3-inch super-density 920,000-dot color LCD monitor
    • Built-in image sensor cleaning
    • 11-point AF system with Face Priority
    • One-button Live View
    • Nikon 3D Color Matrix Metering II with Scene Recognition System
    • Comprehensive exposure control
    • Auto Active D-lighting
    • Shutter precision and durability
    • In-Camera Image Editing
    • GPS geo-tagging

Specifications
    Sensor
    Megapixels ?
    Megapixels: 12.3

CCDs are the chips inside digital cameras that record photos. This refers to the number of pixels a CCD assigns to a photo.

Megapixels: CCDs are the chips inside digital cameras that record photos. This refers to the number of pixels a CCD assigns to a photo.
    Maximum resolution Info unavailable
    Sensor type CMOS
    Sensor size Info unavailable
    Display
    LCD screen size ?
    LCD screen size: 3.0"

LCD screens allow you to frame, playback, and edit whatever you're shooting without looking through an eyepiece.

LCD screen size: LCD screens allow you to frame, playback, and edit whatever you're shooting without looking through an eyepiece.
    3.0"
    Display type High-resolution LCD
    Display resolution 920,000 pixels
    Performance
    Maximum shutter speed Info unavailable
    Minimum shutter speed Info unavailable
    Start-up speed Info unavailable
    Focus type 11-area auto-focus
    Image stabilization ?
    Image stabilization: Yes, in included lens

Electronic and optical image stabilization systems compensate for normal hand shakiness and movement for clearer pictures and smoother videos.

Image stabilization: Electronic and optical image stabilization systems compensate for normal hand shakiness and movement for clearer pictures and smoother videos.
    Yes, in included lens
    ISO range 200-3200
    Viewfinder
    Magnification Info unavailable
    Coverage Info unavailable
    Convenience
    Built-in Memory (MB) N/A
    Live preview Yes
    Self-cleaning sensor Yes
    Red-eye reduction Yes
    PictBridge-enabled Info unavailable
    Attachments
    Memory card type N/A
    Flash type Info unavailable
    General features
    UPC 018208254484
    Manufacturer's part number D90KIT18105VR

9. pacent

pacent

Dec 18, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I think everyone will have an uproar if it doesn't. I'm 99% sure it will have one.

10. built in motor for what?

Sorry, I'm clueless as to camera internals.

11. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    Referring to built-in motor for lenses. For examplet the D40 & D60 has no motor and requires AF-S lenses to autofocus.

12. Aleksey

Aleksey

Mar 10, 2008
    New York
    If it has the motor, then D300 sales are going down. We all hope it has the motor, but I have a bad feeling about it!

13. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    it also has the 2 channel 420 segment meter
    not the 4 channel 1005 segment meter

no Ai/Ais lens support

seems like the D80 vs D200 specs

14. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    the D300 has the prosumer-body feel much like the F100 does. The D50/70/80 and probably 90 just don't feel as good. The caveman inside of me would say "Plastic bad. Metal GOOD!"

15. Aleksey

Aleksey

Mar 10, 2008
    New York
    If you drop it, it all the same!

16. Must be referring to focus drive for older lenses . It will have one , maybe the D60X will come out with similar specs but no focus drive motor .

17. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Why is "D Movie Mode" so intriguing to me?!
    One thing is for sure - this body with HiDef video would be a LOT less expensive than any other option that has really good glass! Hmmm, HiDef video using my treasured fast glass on a camera that costs less than 6 large!? Good lord, I gotta leave this thread NOW!!!

18. Aleksey

Aleksey

Mar 10, 2008
    New York
    They will find the way to screw up something in that video mode, right?
    Hence the price.

19. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm sure the video mode will be heavily compressed by a hardware H.264 chipset. It's a shame because if they gave us 720p motion-jpeg, this could be a really amazing and powerful tool.

20. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    It's not going to be a D300 guys, fergettaboutit'. It's gonna come up short somewhere, else they cut their own throat unless they got a D400 ready, ha, which I doubt yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.