1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D90 Nas?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by C2020, Aug 28, 2008.

1. I'm sitting here listing the equipment I can sell to buy the new D90. My wife will kill me if I don't have the money upfront and there's a nagging voice in the back of my head telling me 'it's only a camera body, it's not going to make you a better photographer', but still it's new and I want it. I need help...

Does anyone else feel this way? How are you dealing with it?

I don't care about video capture but a higher frame rate and better dynamic range would be awesome. I know we are all waiting to hear if the D90 has the tendency to overexpose like the D80 in matrix metering, that alone would be a deal breaker for me. If Thom Hogan or one of the other testing gurus says the matrix metering is more like the D200 then I won't be able to stop myself.

2. I have a D80 and I will be jumping to the D300 for my next upgrade (next year I hope)

I'm not sure it is worthwhile to upgrade each time, within the same range of camera line - ie D70, D80 and D90

So a D70 person might grab a D90
    But a D80 person would grab a D200 or D300

That's just my thought on it

If it has some features you have to have - then do it

3. Hi Bob,

My name is Joe and I'm a Nikonaholic. I haven't bought a camera in two years. But now - I'm afraid, very afraid.

I think we're both screwed. :wink:

Just go with the flow. Don't worry about your addiction, just admit it and live with it. You could try to go cold turkey (or, as they say in the biz, "cold pixel") but you'd be miserable with the heebiejeebies. :eek: 

Good luck.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I think Paul has the right idea. The D80 is a good camera and if you are really at a point where you need to upgrade because the D80 is a limiting factor, than you need a D300 and not a D90. Now if you had any number less than a D80 (70/60/50/40), then sure the D90 is a BIG step up.

And yes I use a D80 for work. The school photo company I work for every fall provides cameras. When I started they were D100s. Last year and this year they are D80. They provide them and try to control the settings everyone uses otherwise trying to process 4,000 - 8,000 images a day for 2 months straight would even harder than it already is.

5. The D90 looks like another great camera, I don't think going from a D80 to a D90 makes much sense. Unless you really want movies or live view (which I don't).

6. I disagree...
    From a D80 upgrade standpoint, the D90 offers at least two important improvements - Lower noise and a larger/higher res screen. Of course, the noise improvement is yet to be proven but there's every reason to believe that it will be the same improvement as that between the D80 and the D300...significant. The larger/better screen will permit easier/better review of images on-the-fly which does make a difference.

Additionally, the higher frame rate, sensor cleaning, extra 2Mp, and live view are all modest but noteworthy improvements.

So, why not buy a D300 instead? Three reasons... size, weight, +$700.

For me, cost is not a big issue but size/weight are. So, selling the D80 for $500 and investing another $500 for the D90 may not be a slam dunk but it is certainly viable.

7. While I agree there are many nice improvements in the D90, I don't think they're worth $500.00 to me. While the larger LCD and lower noise make this a nice upgrade, sensor cleaning, live view and an additional 2Mp are not important to me. I chose the D80 instead of the D200 because of the smaller size. I upgraded from a D70 to the D80 because I thought it was worth the cost. When I first read about the D80, I couldn't wait to sell my D70 and buy one. I don't feel the same way about the D90. I think upgrading from a D40/D50/D60/D70 to the D90 makes sense, I'm not so sure about the D80 to the D90. Just my opinion.

8. Amarok

Amarok

Aug 25, 2008
    Prairie City OR
    I've been reading up on the D90 and D700 drooling quite a bit the last few days as I've finally bit the bullet and started my own side photography business after having several inquiries from people.

My girlfriend was asking me what I was looking at and I showed her the information on the D90. Now what do you expect the first thing out of her mouth was? Why do you need another camera? Whats wrong with the FOUR cameras you already have? Just how much is this going to cost and how are you planning on paying for it? Nope! She asked me if it is what I wanted for Christmas! Talk about flooring me!

9. AdamC

AdamC Guest

Bitten!

When my brother-in-law suggested that he wanted to buy my D80 a couple of months ago I jumped at it. :866: -- And that was before I knew anything about video recording, etc. I just figured it would have the D300 sensor and some other minor improvements.
    It would have cost him much more to buy it new in Brazil than I charged him for my slightly used one.
    I'm looking forward to using the higher res lcd screen with live view to help with critical focusing of my AI-converted 50/2.

10. lovemy8514

lovemy8514 Guest

The D200 and D90 use the same CAM 1000 auto-focus module. We'll have to wait to see if performance is similar...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.