D90 NEFs crashing my file explorer programs

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by TomMewborn, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Is it just me or is anybody else having this problem. When I open a folder in any explorer program(windows explorer and two others) the program crashes. I can have tons of files in a folder and it crashes when I select the NEF.

I am using Vista 32 on a quad core with 3 gigs of ram.

Tom

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Sorry...never had this problem. But I've read your problem 2 times and I think the problem is not in the software but in your computer. No one is really going to be able to answer this question - I think your computer is having the issues.

3. I have experienced the same problem with the RAW files from my D300 on my Vista laptop. I rarely use the laptop for editing, so I just have not bothered to look for a solution as of yet. I use a desktop running XP to do my editing.

4. Tom,
    You inspired me to try and find a solution and I did. The Nikon CODEC needed to be updated. Here is a link to the file. Just download it, install it and restart your computer. This should eliminate Explorer crashing and you should be able to view the images using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Hope this cures your problems.

http://www.nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/index.html.en

5. Problem Solved thanks to Jeff

Jeff,

That worked, I greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Tom

6. Tom, you are welcome. It is nice to have the ability to view my files on all of my networked computers now. I am surprised that the update wasn't supplied with any of the Nikon updates that the Nikon Software Update Utility periodically searches for. Hopefully if anyone else runs into this same problem, they will stumble across this thread.