1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D90 - not for me .

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Desmond, Aug 27, 2008.

1. 1.) If Dpreview is correct it only has a flash synch speed of 1/200th sec . I know that's not all you buy a camera for and the fact that it can drop to iso 100 helps but I would expect better .
    2.) I don't need 12 meg but it would be nice to have so you can shoot at 6 meg and have 12 available if you 'need' it .
    3.) I don't need manual focus video but wouldn't mind having it available - you can always ignore a feature you don't need . I would want the video to be longer than 20 minutes [ school plays etc.]
    4.) 3 inch screen 900 000 pixels , live view , face detection ..... maybe live view could be useful occasionally but nothing else I need , just wants.
    5.) most important : 420 segment matrix metering with pre-programmed scene slection means D80 type metering , an enthusiasts camera with beginner-style metering = blown highlights and unpredictable exposures .

6.) vignette control, D-lighting, dust removal , high iso -nice but I've survived so long on what my D40 and D50 can do they are not needs .

Maybe for some of the features I'll grab the D60X which will have the same sensor[my prediction] but for now my D70S does 1/500th flash synch and 1005 segment "D200'' type metering . Hopefully next time they get the basics right [ metering and flash synch speed ]

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    420 segment matrix metering doesn't necesarily mean it's the same metering system as the D80 though. nikon could have modified it, or gone back to the superior D50 metering.

3. Hopefully , but looking at the D40 which also has metering weighted toward focus points it seems to be what they deem to be the 'correct' type of metering these days [ for non pro bodies I mean ] . The specs mention
    " Nikon 3D Color Matrix Metering II with Scene Recognition System: Nikon's renowned 420-pixel RGB 3D Color Matrix Metering II, teamed with the exclusive Scene Recognition System, evaluates images, referencing an on-board database of over 30,000 photographic scenes, for unmatched exposure accuracy."
    This suggests to me that it's similar to D80 metering . Instead of simply reading the light and adjusting accordingly the 'built in database" decides what it looks like and determines for you what you wanted exposed " .
    I would really like to believe that it is very different from the D80 metering but somehow seem to think this is the way all their non-pro bodies will meter in future .

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    what about using center-weighted metering then? that's always very reliable for those who are used to it.

5. That's exactly what I stated in another post , that if the metering is the same as the D80's I would only use it in centre weighted mode . That seems to be the standard to stick to these days if you are not sure how a camera is going to interpret matrix metering for you .
    One good thing about the D80 metering is that it encouraged me to start shooting manual :smile:

6. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    agree
    this is the main reason I grabbed a mint used D300

I loved my D80, but the meter required alot of fiddling, even in center weighted

7. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Not necessarily. Thom Hogan reports on his site that the metering has been "updated".

It still has the same sluggish CAM 1000 AF system though, which is probably the biggest reason to do D300 over D90.

8. I hope we all understand that cameras like the D90 are for amateur use. I have to agree that certain things have to be under perspective, like a good exposure meter. Flash sync to 1/250sec. has been the norm even with professional models except for the D1X and I am not sure about the D1H. Cameras like the D50 and D70S, geared to amateur use can sync at 1/500sec. Most modern cameras DO NOT sync at that speed.
    The D90 is a new camera and we are not familiar with it. As the camera is tested we will learn about its capabilities. Obviously, it is not the best camera for the strobist. Many will get excited with its movie capabilities.
    We are making comments at this time about what we think is wrong but still we do not know for sure. We know though that a flash sync to 1/200sec is unacceptable for many.The next month the camera will be on the stands so we will begin to understand better what it is capable of doing.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

9. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    I have to agree that it's what the D90 inherits from the D80 that is disappointing. The D80 AF system and the metering were always a problem, and the announcements seem to indicate that they are the same for the D90.

I had hoped that the D90 would be my high ISO, low noise DX backup to my D3, especially since the vertical grip from my D80 will fit it, not to mention the difference in price between it and the D300. But now it seems like I may have to consider the D300.

It's ironic, but while the D700 hurt D300 sales, the D90 may help D300 sales.

10. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    exactly
    not that the D80 was bad, as I mentioned

but no one should think that the D90 is "the same" as the D300
    just as the D80 wasn't a D200

11. Why would Nikon inlcude a movie feature? that just seems weird to me...

12. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA

Sales

13. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    Not impressed with the IQ's of the images Nikon posted:

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/d90/en/sample-images/

The only decent photos are those with pro glass. Those with the new lens (18-105 VR) are lackluster. There are a few shots that are over exposed (whether intentional or not). I'm going to give it a while until actual reviews pop up, but I think I'm heading the way of the D200 instead, unless the D300 plummets in the next month. ;) 

14. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    IN all seriousness

Nikon may regret including the "video" mode. Suspect quite a few people will choose the D90 because of it and be disappointed that it won't auto-focus during a clip. Foresee a lot of D90's returned to BB and CC, too bad! I wonder if battery drain was the main reason, or something else. I was really awaiting this model but may want to save up and go for a D200 or used D300 (not sure which is best choice for my photography).

15. JCole

JCole Guest

You may want to wait and see some real world shots and reviews. I can't remember where I read it but it's been said the high ISO performance is better than the D300. I have a D200 and was tempted by the D80, there are some things the D80 does better, jpegs and higher ISO for instance. It all depends on what you shoot and your style of shooting.

16. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    You can't tell anything about those photos - they're too small. To really compare IQ we need much larger images than these.

17. Learning more about this movie mode is slowly changing my mind about it but, I think a second or 3rd gen of this feature will rock some socks off. IMO, Nikon should just make a dedicated camcorder that can use F-mount lenses, the consumer/prosumer industry is really missing a camcorder like this.

18. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    And to that I say

Point well taken, possibly was just trying to convince myself to snag a discounted D200 in the immediate future. Patience, is not my best virtue :wink:

19. JCole

JCole Guest

That's a tough call. The D200 is a sweet camera but the D90 will smoke it and run circles around it high ISO wise. The 2Mpx gain in resolution is not that big a deal to me but I have had instances where I needed better performance at higher ISO and that's why I picked up a D40. Just too bad it's an AFS only body.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.