D90 Review at Ken Rockwell

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by C2020, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Here is another review for those of you interested...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm

The most important part for me states:

Image Quality

"Exposure Metering

The meter seems identical to the D300 and D3. The defective meter of the D40 and D80, which often overexposed, is gone."
    -- Ken Rockwell

2. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Which Way Is Up?

Thanks for posting this. I'm still torn between the D90 and D300. (sigh):rolleyes:

3. Butchdog

Butchdog

May 29, 2007
    MN
    I'm torn between the two as well.
    Do you think the video capability is going to make it's way into whatever replaces the D300? And when?
    I've been close to ordering a D300 and closer to buying a used one for around $1300 but just can't do it now.
    So I sits and waits...until?

4. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Absolutely. And it'll be 1080P to compete with the Canon 5D Mk2.

5. stane1967

stane1967

Aug 18, 2007
    Slovenia
    My advice would be "don't buy camera because of video capability". It's just a gadget, not a vital function.

6. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Still on the fence

I think I will get the D90. I mean after just comparing the two the big differences to me were fps and a couple of other things. And for my needs the D90 just seems to make sense for me. I'm coming from a D50 and I was looking at the D300 but now this model came out.
    Personally I don't care for the video capability. That's not a big deal to me. I'm into photos not videos. I just like that it has a lot of features from the higher models and basically I can use this for a lot of everyday things with a great sensor.

7. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    I couldn't agree more with that statement. I feel like this was more of a public beta test than a well-planned and tested feature. When they come out with this ability in a professional grade camera, it may be a different story.

After reading multiple threads about lens focusing issues, I think I'm going to hold off and get the D300 or higher. Simply because, lens fine-tuning is becoming more and more needed lately it seems. Extra brackets would be nice, but that's just a convenience.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  8. stane1967

stane1967

Aug 18, 2007
    Slovenia
    I have my opinion on Ken R., but this time he is right. Results with Nikon D90 matrix metering are completely different that ones from Nikon D80. (Over)exposure is much better controled, which is a must when shooting in JPEG. This "overexposure" from D80 was not so bad thing when shooting RAW.

9. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    i dont think i really care for his reviews anymore.