1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D90 test shots and various ISO's

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by ashman, Aug 29, 2008.

1. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
  2. Peter, do you know this for a fact, or are you making an assumption? No where on the internet have I found an article, not even on Nikon's site itself, where it clearly says they are the same sensor.

AM

3. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    I have not found anything explicit anywhere either, but I would imagine it would be a massive undertaking to re-engineer an image sensor, test it, and implement into a production process. It is probably the same sensor using slightly different software to interpret the images and process them.

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    to the contrary, the D90 has a lot less noise at high ISO than the D300, but detail seems about the same.

5. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    Those are exactly the results I was hoping for!

6. Are you suggesting then that the D90 is better at noise then the D300?

7. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Yeah if you compare the ISO3200 samples at 100%, it's very obvious that the D90 is less noisy than the D300.

8. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    yeah but the color is off from what I have seen

and again the image sensor is the same
    the metering and processing is not

9. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    I looked at the side-by-side on the ISO 3200 images and is it me or is the D90 image a bit sharper than the D300? Same settings, same lens, why would sharpness be different?

10. Because the sensor is not the same though it is based on the D300 sensor. Similar but not the same. At least accdg. to imaging-resource. Also read somewhere (don't remember the link) that Nikon says there's a slight improvement in the d90 over the d300 with regards to noise.
    Maybe they had to make adjustments to the sensor bec. of the video mode. That would make some sense I guess.

11. Here are comparisons of d90 & d300 iso 1600. A guy downloaded nefs from imaging-resource and did his own conversions using RawTherapee without any noise reduction at all. He claims that d90 is better by about 1 stop. Saw this from a thread in dpreview.
    Don't know anything about Raw Therapee so I won't make any judgments. Maybe someone with better knowledge here can enlighten us a bit.
    Anyway, here are the links: http://ergonomia.ioz.pwr.wroc.pl/cooler/D90hSLI1600.png
    http://ergonomia.ioz.pwr.wroc.pl/cooler/D300hSLI1600.png
    Warning: takes a while to download.

12. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    I still say its the same sensor. As someone mentioned in another thread, ISO performance above 1600 is accomplished through processing alone. Even besides that, it could have different processing tweaks to achieve the images it produces. Reasons like this make the D50 lower noise than the D70 when they have the same sensor.

Manufacturers do this all the time. They develop high end products that are groundbreaking, they charge one price for those to recoupe research and development. Then they create products that are hybrids of each other on this and other proven technologies, perhaps fix the bugs and enter it into another market bracket. Its good business sense in nearly any market including technology.

I would almost assume that anything that the D90 does better than the D300 is considered a bug fix where as anything it doesn't is either intentional or a bug. The main thing they are trying to sell with the D90 is the D300 sensor with a slimmed down feature set.

That's my take on it.

13. How interesting. Thanks for the links...
    I do think the D90's ISO 1600 shot is not only less noisy than the D300's, but sharper as well.

I wonder if D300 owners are really getting upset about these things. Some of the threads in this subforum are almost violent. lol.

anyways... sure as heck beats my D80.

-jeff

14. zandym

zandym

Apr 14, 2006
    Maryland
    It's the same with the D200 & D80.

The D80 files were a lot less noisier even though they use the "same" sensor.

15. Johnny Yuma

Johnny Yuma

Jun 27, 2007
    SE MI
    But they are not. Sorry.

One is a 2 channel and one a 4 channel.

Now if I'm not mistaken, the D80 and the D40x have the same sensor. As does the D50 and D40.

In both cases there is an improvement in noise with the newer models.

16. wow. very nice results

17. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    Aren't the number of channels simply relating to how fast the data can be moved from the sensor? It would make sense then that the D200 has a higher continuous rate than the D80.

18. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Yes, but you need two different versions of the sensor, one to actually have four read/output channels and the other with only two.

You cannot use the four channel version and only use two channels I guess, because the pixels are connected to the channels and unusing half of the channels would end up NOT reading half of the pixels.

So, the D200 sensor is probably version B and the D80 version is probably version A, since Sony originally created the two channel version if I remember correctly, and Nikon further tweaked the design to have four channels. The D80 actually came to market later but had the original sensor specification.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.