Daddy and the Little Ones

Real Name
Maurie Hill
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My Three 24-70 Kits. D810 with 24-70, Z7 with 24-70 and the foreigner, the slightly smaller Sony Nex7 with the 'Zeiss' 24-70. interesting comparisons. The best glass by a significant margin is the f2.8 FX but the best overall result comes from the Z7 with the f4 lens. Curiously, the Sony/Zeiss is not that much lighter than the Z7

Real Name
Maurie Hill
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes I owned the Sony/Zeiss combo a couple of years before the Z7 arrived, it was a good compromise when size/weight was an issue. Now it’s relegated to spare kit that lurks in the trunk 😎

I agree with some folks here. Z7 is much lighter and has an incredible performance than Sony rig.

Last edited:
A long time ago Rich Gibson came over to my house and he had what was then the brand-new, just recently-released NEX 7. That was my first time seeing and handling a mirrorless camera and I was immediately enthralled. Of course I went out and bought one and bought some native APS-C lenses, too, to go with it.....and it all felt like such a smaller, lighter weight kit than my DSLR gear. It didn't take long to realize that while the NEX 7 camera body was small and thin and lightweight, though, that not all lenses meant to work with it would be.....

Fast-forwarding more than a few years, and yep, especially with Sony moving into full frame with their E-Mount, not hard to see that if someone were looking to reduce the overall weight of their camera gear -- body and lenses -- that if they still wanted interchangeable lenses that they should be looking at M4/3, because, yep, the lenses weren't losing much weight, regardless of what the body style of the Sony cameras. Sony's RX10 M4 bridge camera is a marvel, a delight to carry around and use, especially for travel and such, but just doesn't offer the same things that an interchangeable lens camera does. This past November as many people here already know I made the switch from Nikon to Sony, but I can tell you that it sure as heck wasn't for purposes of hoping for less weight to carry around! :) It's a trade-off and it's more about the results one hopes to get from a given camera body and lenses. A few of the new lenses I have are just as heavy as my previous ones, even though the camera body may be lighter and thinner......

Real Name
Maurie Hill
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My biggest gripe with the Nex is the incredibly diabolical menu structure. The sensor is good the ergonomics are good, not great like the Z but “good”, the high end glass is very good. But the package is a 6 on the scale where the Z7 is a 10.

Sony still leaves much to be desired with regard to their menu structure and system, but I will say it has improved a little bit now.... I got used to it with the NEX-7, the RX100 and RX10 cameras so that by the time I had to set up the A7R IV it wasn't quite as daunting and confusing. I don't have my NEX-7 any more, I traded it in at the time I was getting the new gear. I did love that camera, and it was a wonderful introduction to mirrorless for me.

"I must admit Sony has improved a little bit now. It remains to be desired by many because of its menu structure and system...."

I agree. You cannot take Sony for granted now. :)
beautiful home with garage.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

📷 using Z7 in my friend's home garage.

Attachments

Last edited:
View attachment 1660494

My Three 24-70 Kits. D810 with 24-70, Z7 with 24-70 and the foreigner, the slightly smaller Sony Nex7 with the 'Zeiss' 24-70. interesting comparisons. The best glass by a significant margin is the f2.8 FX but the best overall result comes from the Z7 with the f4 lens. Curiously, the Sony/Zeiss is not that much lighter than the Z7
Maurie, your super photo reminds me why my D810 and F lenses had to go in PX for some Fuji Gear, that didn’t last long!
If only the Z cameras and lenses had came out five years ago, I would have saved a shed load of money!
Now I have a Z6, and five Z lenses. :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom