Dad's getting a new Cobra, need some photo tips EDIT: New pics from pickup & video!

Hey everyone. On my Saturday my Dad is going to pick up his 2nd Shelby Cobra kit car (1st was built by him). Anyway, I will be photographing the car for him later in the day. I was wondering if anyone had any good tips for photographing cars?

EDIT: After driving with my Dad for a little while I took a few pics. There are a bunch more but I thought I would share a couple of my favorites from the pickup. We just got home and will be going for some rides later after dinner. Also, the pictures don't do the color justice no matter how much processing I do. But the color is Ferrari red and is painted just like one, and the stripes are pearl white.

EDIT 2: I recorded a video today of the loudness. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p52a86J1II

Me sitting in the Cobra. My dad is in the background on the left along with the sales guy on the right
web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My sister and my Uncle came with their Corvettes so we put them all together.
web.jpg

web.jpg

My Uncle, Dad, and Sister (in order) by their cars
web.jpg

My Dad in the car in an alley-way in town
web.jpg

A couple shots from today (7/28/08)
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
my tip would be to get down on the ground and look for those insane angles
maybe flip through a couple of car mags to get some inspiration :)

Ya, either go for a ride, or if he will let you drive it, leave you camera at home and just go for a drive with the car. it might sound weird, but just listen to the car and let it talk to you. connect with it. you might get some inspiration from that...

I would try some low light captures with a tripod and find a suitable back ground like a neon lighted fast food joint or something similar. You could also hose down the pavement to achieve a just rained look.

Cheers

Ted:smile:

Excellent. Bring it over here. I am sure I can help with some suggestions...I just need to see and drive it first :)

Pretty car.

Get it out of the cluttered garage and then look for a place with a pleasing background. Shoot late in the afternoon or early in the morning.

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
Don't listen to Randy! Bring it over here instead! I'm closer to New Jersey. :biggrin:

Try some cool creative lighting too. You can backlight it while also using those creative angles people mentioned. The early morning/late afternoon is also great, as Gordon said. It also looks very good in profile, and would make a lovely silhouette.

Have fun and let your imagination soar!

....and then bring it over to my place. :smile:

ask your Dad if he's ever driven/seen a real one ?
From Road America, Elkhart Lake Wis. this past weekend.
This Baby is priceless.
Many Kits there as well btw

p282337351-5.jpg

p306544614-5.jpg

p271101582-5.jpg

p93477753-5.jpg

That original is great. Well I def plan on driving it sooner or later, he will want to enjoy it first, it is his car. It's a kit, but pro built. Thanks for the tips, I'll check out the car mags and go for a ride for some inspiration. I'll post the pics after I'm done.

What kit is it? I would love to have one of these someday.... maybe my son will get scholarships and I'll be able to spend his college money on it.. :smile:

Thas such a beautiful car. I owned a '98 mustang in high school but i crashed it in a rain storm. Damn telephone poles came leaping outta no where. You should try some low angles in an empty lot. and if you can get some off camera flashes, try a colored gel or two just to mix it up. let us know how it goes.

B

Bright Angel

My tips would be:-
Avoid reflections.
Shot the car against a non distracting scenic background.
Shot the car at dusk/sunset and use slow sync flash to creatively illuminate it.

Well I decided to go to Round Valley Reservoir in NJ, which is really close to my house. There is a lot of parking lots that are usually empty as well as trails and grassy areas so I'm sure I can find something. The background would either be trees and stuff or the water so I think I'll be able to do something nice. 1 more day, can't wait!!

And the kit is Backdraft Racing. If you go to www.vintage-motorsports.com and go the gallery page look for lot 672. That's my Dad's car.

Just got the car today. I took a few snapshots of the pickup. I will put them later today after some post-processing

How to photo a Cobra

How do you like this angle?

Image217copy.jpg

Wait until the early evening or when it is cloudy. Do NOT shoot in the direct sunlight.

wash2.jpg

Trust me I love to shoot cars

vette11.jpg

vette4.jpg

fdnew3.jpg

If you can't wait till later try to find background that give good contrast. Also try shooting low and give the car a real aggressive stance by turning the wheels slightly.

Latest threads

Top Bottom