Daffodil

I read a tutorial at another photography site that caused me to try focus stacking. Camera settings were F10, manual settings with flash from a SB-800 (-.3). This is a stack of 17 photos. I shot until I felt I had captured every part of the flower in focus. I used PS5 to do the stacking per the tutorial.

It's interesting, but can't see how to accomplish this in the field. So many variables, wind, light, subject moving. Any advice dealing with these things would be appreciated.

Oh, I was experimenting with frames in PS5 too. Nothing like trying a bunch of stuff at the same time. :smile:

tutorial link

Daffodil%20focus%20stacking-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It looks like you did a pretty fair job of it. this is a nice image. That is tough, brother....trying to stack without rails in field. you are a braver man than I.

I have a teacher that use rails in the field. I never have.
I've only stacked via Helicon and once by hand inside with CS5. the only think I might do is bring a little "blind" with me to help settle the wind.

Regardless, I like your image and I LOVE the frame.

Using the steps from the tutorial helped tremendously in Photoshop. I did different areas of focus by using the different focus points in the view finder as they pretty much covered the subject. I would select a focus point and them focus manually to that point. Guess I've focused enough manually to see when focus is achieved, because there will be times the green dot and I disagree.

The frame was a total shot in the dark. Glad you like it.

I think you did an excellent job with the stacking. Usually you should use a larger aperture than f/10 in order to blur the background more, but this looks fine. Did you really do this outdoors? I don't think I would even try that!

I frankly don't care for the frame. I think it muddies an otherwise excellent photo.

I like this capture...it is simplistic elegance and makes the flower stand out.

Real Name
Mike
Nice job Mark! Stacking is something I haven't tried yet. I need to because I really like the results. I agree with Jim about the frame. They're fun to play with, but I think your daffodil stands on it's own without the frame.

Yes, I did this outdoors. Very calm morning. No wind to speak of. I don't think this would be possible if there was any air movement whatsoever. I have no idea how anyone could do this on an insect. However, the tutorial link I posted shows the author focus stacking, outdoors, in the rain.

I think I agree about the frame being a tad distracting.

Great job on the shot - I agree about the frame also, but that is a subjective difference. You can get away with two or three shot stacks outside pretty routinely if the subject is small enough - just move the camera as you shoot on CL with the focus on AF-C, single spot.

Thank all of you for your kind remarks. I'll give this focus stacking thing a few more tries this weekend. :smile:

I appreciate you taking the time to look and post your comments.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom