Daily Walk

Seen during my walk today with my D300

1DF537B1-BCB6-4ACF-A0F1-151BB87E1C24.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Resin

7CCDA6B9-72D5-4CC3-B6F5-5406671D7014.jpeg

Fireweed/Rosebay Willowherb

2FC63542-BE2A-4362-9323-EBAEE84046A7.jpeg

Which way...left or right?

BB3D241C-1574-4CB4-BD13-B4C92D6B17FE.jpeg

C849FC85-07B1-4210-BF17-48D3B5141C0D.jpeg

Wild Blackberries

A534C91C-CEA3-4495-BD17-B4D6C7CAF64B.jpeg

Kent cob nuts

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for your interest and comments, Nick and Gordon. This is an area of my town Twydal a very old part of Kent dating back to medieval times and possibly earlier. It’s rapidly lost its village status through being developed with new builds that is demolishing local green areas, orchards and the environment. We are fighting the steamroller of bureaucracy but I suspect without success.
kind regards
Ben

Last edited:
So you have fireweed, currants, and raspberries. We have the fireweed, a few currants, and raspberries in some areas, but not where I live. We have blueberries, and low bush cranberries, though neither are ripe yet. For now, we have lots of mosquitoes which is good for the blueberries and cranberries, as their flowers are mostly pollinated by mosquitoes. Thanks for the photos! It makes me realize that there are the same plants in your part of the world and mine.

Thanks for your interest and comments, Palouse and Gordon. This is an area of my town Twydal a very old part of Kent dating back to medieval times and possibly earlier. It’s rapidly lost its village status through being developed with new builds that is demolishing local green areas, orchards and the environment. We are fighting the steamroller of bureaucracy but I suspect without success.
kind regards
Ben
Thanks, Ben. Interesting part of the country you live in. My mum was from Ely/Saffron Walden.

Palouse...Saffron Walden is a beautiful small medieval town in the Essex/Cambridgeshire area and not too far from Colchester one of my favourite towns for walking around and full of historic interest. Ely of course has it’s beautiful cathedral with it’s intricate stonework and carvings. There are many US bases in the area too and was a source of income for us “rock” bands of the era.

Steve K....thank you for naming fireweed as I’m not much of a botanist and hadn’t any idea what it’s called. I’ll edit my post to add it, though it may have an alternative name in the UK.

Have just checked it’s name which is Rosebay Willowherb in the UK and great Willowherb in parts of Canada.

Regards Ben

Last edited:
We have two types of fireweed here, dwarf fireweed, which is a low plant with the same sort of blossoms, and the regular type which is up to 4 feet tall. Ours just started blooming this past week.

Steve this is a discarded image and shows it’s about 4 feet high. I haven’t come across the shorter variety here though it may exist.
9EC9B6D6-DDF4-4841-B59A-16D43DBC54BE.jpeg

We have a saying here, that when the fireweed finally blooms all the way to the top, summer is over. We normally start getting frost in August, and snow by September. This year we still had snow on the ground in early June, but it was a really deep snow winter.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom