Daisy - center weight vs. matrix metering

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by viewfinder, Jun 26, 2005.

1. The obligatory square dead set center composition... boring stuff :wink:

Thought I'd share the difference between center weighted metering vs. matrix metering. Taken using D70 and 105mm micro. The center of the flower is about 1 cm in diameter, these are full height crop of landscape original (2000 px) resized for web.

[​IMG]
    Exposure time : 0.020 s (1/50)
    Aperture : f/4.2
    Whitebalance : Cloudy (-2)
    Metering Mode : center weight
    Flash used : No

[​IMG]
    Exposure time: 0.0063 s (1/160)
    Aperture : f/4.5
    Whitebalance : Cloudy (-2)
    Metering Mode : matrix
    Flash used : No

Regards,
    Jonathan

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well Jonathan thank you for that.

Boy nice to really see the difference. No guessing here. Center weight wins and it is beautiful

Great job.

3. Jonathan, thanks for the comparison. Great abstract picture indeed.

4. Center weight gives more pleasant look

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jonathan,

I agree that the C-W is exposed better, but I disagree that either is boring.... :lol:

Very nice compositions. :wink:

6. Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I prefer the center weight version too, the blown highlight gives the purple fringes an added edge... by accident rather than by design... :wink:

Regards,
    Jonathan

7. Hi Jonathan, I hope you don't mind but I think if you take your second shot an add some brightness and contrast in Photoshop you will see that both will look identical and it might even be a slight bit sharper. I tried it because I wanted to see the difference between center and matrix on a close-up.
    Pete

8. I'm assuming that both were processed the same. Obviously the matrix metering took into account the white petals and decreased the exposure. The center weighted with no white petals to consider increased the exposure because of the dark center of the flower. Both could be manipulated in PS to achieve the same exposure as Pete has pointed out. The real secret is in knowing what to expect and shooting accordingly. Personally I prefer using center weighted or spot for most individual subject exposures and matrix for scenes.

Thanks for sharing your experiment.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank for that to Gordon,

The more explanations I can find the better for me.

Most appreciated.

I would prefer out of camera than in post.

10. I wonder if Jonathan could do the exact experiment using the same exposure. time and appeture.
    Pete.

11. Hi Gordon,

Agreed. If both were post processed to be exactly the same, then there is nothing to be shared here... :wink:.

I use spot metering actually most of the time, probably because I don't do extreme closely (subject does not cover the entire frame), and I like the effect of the darken backdrop with the subject isolated but correctly exposed. Of course you need to make sure that the backdrop is darker to start with, I usually change my viewpoint until I get the right backdrop.

Here is an example with spot metering:
    [​IMG]

But I agree with Pete that the second is slightly sharper (the first was 1/50s), and I could achieve the result of the first by post processing. As to using the same exposure but with center weight vs. matrix, I am assuming the result would be pretty much the same and not much difference to write home about.

Thanks again for all your feedback.

Regards,
    Jonathan

12. GreenCoal

GreenCoal Guest

Thanks Jonathan for sharing and to all for good discussion! Always something new to learn here.

Like the subtle colors on the last one with the profile view.

13. Wow, this is a really great discussion. Now I can really see the difference. Thank you for sharing and defining the differences in metering.