Review DAKINE Sequence Backpack - Photo Review

I am just looking for a beginner bag for myself, i don't really hike or anything and don't have much gear....yet :(

i really like the DAKINE Mission Photo Backpack, thanks for the post to tip me off to this brand, they seem real nice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's another shot of me wearing it, I had it loose though:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've been using a version of the Sequence for a couple of years now. It's actually the Ridge pack with the camera block, same pack, just bought separately.

It's been pretty good but I'm running out of room inside. There seems to be a lot of wasted space under the camera block that you can't get at unless you remove everything. It would have been nice if the access zipper went all the way to the bottom of the pack. The build quality is excellent, as is Dakine's reputation for building quality products.

Alas I'm on the hunt for something bigger.

Supposedly the Burton bag has more additional space... I haven't used it personally, but that was the other pack I was looking at. Problem is, Burton build quality being lesser compared to DaKine... so you get more space, but maybe you have something important in that space that is lost or broken because of some bad stitching for example. Just my thoughts as to why I went with the DaKine.

^ I agree. Dakine's quality is very good. I have a Dakine backpack that i used for daytrips, which i bought 3 or 4 years ago. It's been through hell and it looks like its brand new.

Hopefully the Sequence will be just as durable.

The new ones have a lot more external pockets than the older model that I have, maybe I'll just trade up to a new model!

The new ones have a lot more external pockets than the older model that I have, maybe I'll just trade up to a new model!
Ohh, you have an 1800? I was told to definitely get the 2000 (new model), which I did. It does have a fair amount of storage, but would be nice to have more. I think this would be the case with any pack for me, though. I always want more, more, more!

:eek: I should have gone for that one..

I do think the Sequence looks a bit better. The Reload is too square for my tastes.

The removable camera block is a huge feature that sold me on the Sequence too. Being able to take my whole kit into the house and leave the pack in the garage is something I don't want to change.

:eek: I should have gone for that one..

I do think the Sequence looks a bit better. The Reload is too square for my tastes.
I was going to purchase the Reload, but thought the same thing. And it LOOKS like a camera backpack or something that you'd store expensive gear in. The Sequence doesn't have that "look" IMO.. just looks like a regular hiking pack or backpack. Having a Jeep Wrangler as well as my Camaro, if I ever have to leave my gear in either, I feel a little safer with it looking like a book bag.

Hmmmmm. I might just get one of these. I currently have the lowepro Flipside 400 AW, I love it, I just wish it was bigger.

How does it hold a tripod?

Mine's an older one and there's straps everywhere. I usually shoot action in the dark forest so I carry 2 cheap tripods for lightstands all the time, occasionally a monopod too.

How abusable is it?

Mine's an older one and there's straps everywhere. I usually shoot action in the dark forest so I carry 2 cheap tripods for lightstands all the time, occasionally a monopod too.
You think, one can use this as a biking pack, crash with it and some camera gear inside and come away with a scratched backpack and good gear?

I am looking for a back pack for 1 body, a 70-200 attached and 2 additional lenses, that is actually bulletproof, builds rather flat and looks low profile.

I want to drag it through mud and water and dont worry (basically a North Face gummed messenger bag with strong padding and in back pack format).

Btw - I really enjoyed your gallery - reminds me very much of the great times in the woods in Germany when Downhill worldcup races where still shown on TV (quite some time before Y2K). Remember Missy Giove ? - what a great time.

You think, one can use this as a biking pack, crash with it and some camera gear inside and come away with a scratched backpack and good gear?

I am looking for a back pack for 1 body, a 70-200 attached and 2 additional lenses, that is actually bulletproof, builds rather flat and looks low profile.

I want to drag it through mud and water and dont worry (basically a North Face gummed messenger bag with strong padding and in back pack format).
tested and proven!

I've crashed a couple times while riding from shooting spot to shooting spot on one of the tough courses here in BC. I was freaked out and it's definitely something I wouldn't want to make a habit of, but everything came through without a scratch. Mine is older and doesn't have the weather cover like the new ones.

I can fit a D70s with 80-200 2.8, 18-70, 50 1.8, 70-300G, 3 pw's, SB-600 and a bunch of cables, spare battery, filters and spare cards in the camera block. I have a tupperware type container that sits in the bottom of the pack beneath the block with 2 Vivitar 285hv's and 2 Jacobs Blackbox power supplies. There's still enough space in the top pocket for a lunch, 1st aid kit, and there's a water bottle holder on the side. You can really cram alot in there. Even a pocket on the waist belt for your keys/phone.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom