1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Review DAKINE Sequence Backpack - Photo Review

Discussion in 'Reviews, Tests, & Shootouts' started by PAFirefighter11, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Just wanted to give an update. This thing is still going strong! It's been to the tops of mountains, thrown in the back of my muddy Jeep, put down in some mud, sand, on my back while riding my motorcycle over 100 MPH, etc., lol. I sue it on a daily basis. It's one of the few things I do touch every day. Everything *knock on wood* has held up so far, which is crazy for something I own. I am very impressed by the quality!

2. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    It's a very nice bag indeed. I like mine a lot apart from the fact that it got much too small for my gear :biggrin:

3. I just got the Mission dropped off at my front door and I have to say that I'm in love. It's the perfect size, not too big nor too small. Fits everything in my sig with plenty of room to spare for another body, two lenses, or another flash gun.

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2009
  4. pbcstylez

pbcstylez

Mar 21, 2009
    BayArea, CA
    the d3 may not fit well seeing as the body has a built in grip which adds to the bulk height-wise. I cannot fit a d700 w/ grip attached, therefore have to seperate them when using this bag

5. seiler

seiler

Aug 11, 2008
    Colorado
    My D700 and grip fit just fine when they're connected, although I do have to lay the camera body on its side when I insert it into the bag. Otherwise, I can zip the zipper and close everything with up no issue.

Scott

6. Scott so when you say "lay the camera body on it's side" you are saying the camera fits but with the grip side facing the opening of the bag? Opposed to the flash side facing the opening, correct?

I've been debating between the mission and the sequence. Your gear is somewhat similar to mines.

7. seiler

seiler

Aug 11, 2008
    Colorado
    Ahhh... Yes? :confused:  lol

I believe your description is the way I have my gear setup in my bag.

Quick snap:

DSC_2021small25.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Dependant upon how much stuff you want to take with you, I believe the Sequence would work well. Especially if you have a 2nd body to carry around. My D90, and 18-135 VR also fit in after rearranging those internal protectors, before I sold it. The Sequence just has more space, period. Now, the bag can get REALLY heavy once you've got a few large lenses in there, a few bodies, your tripod, etc. I talked to Rick (The OP), and asked how he had his straps situated for comfort. He mentioned keeping the weight on the waste straps, and to use the shoulder straps to basically keep the bag upright, and attached to your body. Firefighters wear their SCBA (Self-contained breathing apparatus) i.e. air tank and all that, the same way. After 10 - 15 minutes, it'll become uncomfortable if you have the weight on your shoulders.

This bag does great on long hikes, or when I travel and I want to carry practically all of my equipment. I can't fit too many other large items in the backpack pockets themselves, but small items will fit just fine. My large 12 lb 17" laptop will not fit with the camera inside.

I'm going to invest in the mission at some point. Mostly because I want something slightly smaller, for when I want to go on short walks, or when I don't want to carry everything I have. Plus, the versatility of two bags will be awesome. :biggrin:

Scott

8. Just updating. 5 days shy of 1 year of having this thing and my gosh.. This is the best investment of any camera bag I've ever had. I literally use it daily. I've beat the snot out of it in mud, snow, rocky terrain, some water, sand, dirt, pavement, grass, wood, you name it. I've sat on straps while trying to move the bag, would've ripped on any other backpack. It's been on my back while on my motorcycle several times, strapped to the seats in my Wrangler when off-roading, trekked up mountain trails, etc. It'll be skiing with me this season as well.

This thing ROCKS!!!

9. ATL Jack

ATL Jack

Jan 13, 2009
    Atlanta
    Its a great backpack, but I almost never use mine anymore because I have grown away from backpack type bags. They are too much of a pain if you need to get in and out of it a lot.

10. Updating years later. This backpack has been nearly flawless! Skiing, hiking, motorcycle, thrown into and out of my vehicles for years, covered in some mud, monsoon like rains, blizzards, 105* days in Vermont and PA, sand in Jersey and DE, etc.

Only issues:
    -Tear in the removable rain cover
    -One of the buckles snapped after about the 300th time being slammed in my door

That's it. LOVE this big and still use it every day!

11. How much does space for other things does the backpack have with the camerablock installed?

12. Well, what type of other things are you looking to put into the bag? It has a good amount of exterior straps to hold things. It also has 2 exterior water bottle type pockets which I use for carrying cables, chargers, non-camera stuff, etc. There is also the laptop pocket which fits my 13.3" Macbook real well. The top zipper pocket fits a decent amount as well.

13. Billy_M

Billy_M

Apr 17, 2009
    Los Angeles
    rick, where is the built in weather bag located? i can't find it on my bag lol!!!

14. nickevans

nickevans

Sep 4, 2009
    Brisbane
    It's on the base from memory. There's a zipper you'll need to undo.

15. Billy_M

Billy_M

Apr 17, 2009
    Los Angeles
    i bought mine used and it didn't come w/ it =(

16. Call up DAKINE and order it direct from them. From what I recall it's available separately too. Mine is sliced and I need another one myself.

17. Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  18. Sole Shooter

Sole Shooter

Sep 20, 2007
    So. Cal.
  19. SangYuP

SangYuP

Jan 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I'm really close to buying one in the next few days...is the 2012 model coming out soon? I wonder what changes it will have? I have to say that the sequence to me is the best looking backpack I have seen.

20. Noticing a slight rip/tear on the one main strap. This is due to my excessive use I'm sure. I'll try to get it fixed via someone who knows how to sew. Seems like the threading just backed out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.