Review DAKINE Sequence Backpack - Photo Review

Hey all. I needed to upgrade backpacks. Storage was fast becoming an issue as was ruggedness. I do a LOT of hiking and mountain biking and I need something that will hold up and be comfortable at the same time. I ordered a DAKINE Sequence Photo Backpack from DogFunk for $111 on sale. It arrived just an hour ago. During my lunch I decided to grab some photos in our photo studio. It's just 1 medium sized Chimera soft box to illuminate it. The studio camera's were in use, as were the radio transmitters, so 2 second open exposures and f22 it was lol. Here are the photos:

Exterior:
439015552_ixCpV-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

439016114_4nznn-XL.jpg

439016708_ng6aX-XL.jpg

Built in rain cover over exterior:
439017281_5mFyG-XL.jpg

Portion that rests against your back:
439021989_8ueBq-L.jpg

Opened up:
439018461_4fUKS-XL.jpg

Backpack portion on left | Camera bag portion on right:
439019169_T5MTD-XL.jpg

My old Case Logic Backpack | DAKINE pack | DAKINE Camera bag portion:
439019655_oUk7a-XL.jpg

Camera phone photos showing how I'll be using it...

(SB600, 70-300VR, D2x with 18-70mm, D70s with 50mm 1.8, Nikon Coolpix L5 lol):
477526938_4jogY-XL.jpg

439019740_Akpmg-XL.jpg

I'll try fitting my laptop in the laptop portion tonight after my photoshoot if I have a free moment. I have a 15.4" Dell laptop that loves to travel. I hope it fits, but have heard it's really designed for 15" and smaller laptops :( We'll see. There are also some other random pockets I am using for storage of cables, batteries, etc.

I did wear it. I love the feel. It's definitely got plenty of straps, which is exactly what I was looking for. For the few here who have tried on an SCBA Firefighting device, it's a feel VERY similar to that. The Draeger SCBA packs that we used feel nearly identical. It has great hip support that somewhat pivots with your hips, I love it. I'll let everyone know how it holds up after my first hike with it!

So far, I HIGHLY recommend this bag!

EDIT: So you don't have to scroll through the pages, two shots of me wearing the bag... I had it loose on the 2nd one FWIW.. and I am 6'4". There's plenty more slack for bigger people and smaller people as well.

451579990_Vyxmg-XL.jpg

470315854_ujFKL-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Burton AK29. I have not used it, but it holds a lot of gear, and the best part is that it is protected while you are wearing the pack. I haven't worn a backpack bag before, and this one strikes me as being pretty heavy when full, but then so is my Lowepro AW5 shoulder bag.

Hey Rick,

Post pictures and your thoughts about the Dakine Sequence. I've been looking at that for a possible bag as well.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks Alan. I was leaning incredibly towards the Burton until my buddy in the military who's used both Burton and DaKine gave me his $.02. He said quality was the biggest issue with the Burton packs he's used.

Scott, I will give a little writeup on the pack when I get a chance. It should be here tomorrow per UPS, but then I am gone for the weekend in NJ. If it's here before my lunch, I can do some shots in the studio and post 'em, along with my opinions and such.

Scott, I will give a little writeup on the pack when I get a chance. It should be here tomorrow per UPS, but then I am gone for the weekend in NJ. If it's here before my lunch, I can do some shots in the studio and post 'em, along with my opinions and such.

That'd be awesome. I appreciate it Rick. Hope you enjoy the bag!

Scott

No prob Scott.

The company I got it from has them for $111! I know they have camo prints (urban, jungle, etc.), but also have black and some crazy design which is shown in my one photo. I went with the crazy one. Felt like I needed something different. I think black will get too dirty on all the rocks when I am climbing as well.

/useless info lol

No prob Scott.

The company I got it from has them for $111! I know they have camo prints (urban, jungle, etc.), but also have black and some crazy design which is shown in my one photo. I went with the crazy one. Felt like I needed something different. I think black will get too dirty on all the rocks when I am climbing as well.

/useless info lol

Hrm. What company might that be? :biggrin:

I was looking online earlier, and I couldn't find it for under $140. I spent about $100 on my Dakine Snowboarding pack, so the price isn't going to stop me. However, the lower the better for sure. Hope to see some pics soon!

Scott

Definitely a sweet bag. The added rain cover and seperable photo bag are sweet too. Hopefully the sale will last until the 26th for dogfunk. I have no money for one right now. Spent it all on Christmas presents. Thanks for posting those Rick!

Scott

Holy cow that's a sweet looking bag. Great versatility! I love the 2 bag in 1 feature and what appears to be nice extra storage via pockets and the flap. Carries a laptop too? Unless I love the DR 467 that will be arriving I will take a hard look at this one...very nice pack.

I can JUST squeeze my 15.4" laptop into the bag.

I've run it with the following all at once:
-D2x with 28-105 mounted
-D70s w/ Jenis grip with 70-300 VR mounted
-L5 Coolpix
-18-70 3.5-4.5 & 50 1.8 individually stored
-SB600 w/ diffuser individually stored
-Manfrotto 055X PROB tripod & Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head & Bogen 3231 mounted outside
-Manuals for all equipment, lens cleaner/cloth, flashlights, gaffers tape, USB cables (12 feet+)

When the laptop is packaged, I would be scared to run the tripod/monopod on the direct back of the bag (as designed), but there are enough side straps to accomodate this. I've hiked for hours with it at almost full capacity, and it's been fine. You just have to put the weight on your hips, and adjust the shoulder straps accordingly.

I HIGHLY recommend it still!

Hey Rick,

I know this is an odd question... But I'm curious if maybe you could take a picture of the back pack on your back? I'm trying to get a feel for how large this bag really is, and a side view / rear view with it on your back including what equipment you can would really help. If not, it's all good. Thought I would throw it out there!

Thanks,

Scott

Hey Rick,

I know this is an odd question... But I'm curious if maybe you could take a picture of the back pack on your back? I'm trying to get a feel for how large this bag really is, and a side view / rear view with it on your back including what equipment you can would really help. If not, it's all good. Thought I would throw it out there!

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,

I'll post what I have so far from when my friend borrowed my camera whilst I setup my tripod:

451579990_Vyxmg-XL.jpg

I am 6'4" and there is PLENTY of room to go higher or lower on my back. It really fits great!

I'll see if I can get the other shots you requested, but can't promise anything 'cause work is keeping me busy :)

Rick,

That shot gives me a good idea of what to expect. Thank you! If you get around to the other angles, awesome. If not, it's no biggie. I know how work can go.

Thanks again,

Scott

That is a pretty sweet bag. I'm definitely going to have to look into getting one in the near future. I love DaKine bags. I have a Dakine backpack that I use for school that I've had for almost 6 years now. Really well built if you ask me and still looks pretty good all things considered.

I bought a Dakine Sequence backpack last year.
I like this backpack.
After one year of intensive use with heavy loads there is no signs of wear.
I love the fact that I can put in my D300+grip with my 70-200 and tc on it!
I use it a lot for backcountry snowboarding!

Latest threads

Top Bottom