1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Damm i missed it

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by axle01, Aug 6, 2009.

1. I've been waiting all morning for the clock to turn 12.34.56 7/8/9 and a customer came in and spoiled it, i'll have to wait for next time :rolleyes: 

2. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I was there. It was highly overrated and not worth the hype.

3. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    Took me a minute to figure it out, displaying the month & day backwards to what I'm used to:) 

4. Yeah that's the way we do it in Australia

5. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Here as well, makes more sense to me.

6. Just had a few friends who say 'I DO' to each other in townhall at 123456789.
    At most of the wedding locations the towncouncil placed a giant clock in the ceremonialroom for the right moment.
    A never to forget date for your divorce: 1111111111

7. And of course, ever accomodating Canucks use every format....:biggrin:

I was taught dd/mm/yy, which IIRC was/is what is used by NATO.

8. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Which is as we all know an organization that thinks that $1200 is a reasonable price for a hammer, so we can really trust their judgement :smile:

As Edward says, it's all a matter of what you're used to. Adjusting to m/d/y coming from d/m/y was a lot easier than adjusting to fahrenheit (I'm still clueless but now at least I know that "single digits" is cold and "triple digits" is hot and anything in between is "normal" weather). But for both I cannot say one is superior than the other, they're both chosen rather arbritarily.

The only system that makes truly sense is yyyy/mm/dd as it has everything in order of significance. My father taught me that this is the system that is used in Japan but I've never checked it. Anyone here to shine a light on that?

Edit: ok, should have checked Ed's link. Thx.

9. Back when I received my commission as Ensign in the Navy in 1964 computers were just being incorporated (and still seemed to be when I retired in 1989!) apparently the programmers were flummoxed by writing code for manipulating dates so all our forms were changed to YRMONDA, (1964-06-13) which everyone had to re-learn when filling in forms .

Of course that was so long ago the Department of Defense was using 8" x 10.5" sheets as a hold over from WWII to save paper. That's where the use of Elite type was used to fill the same amount of information on a page as Pica did on a legal page.

:smile:

10. Not necessarily.

I grew up with imperial units but I acknowledge that metric makes far more sense not only because it's base 10 but because most of the world uses it.

11. Here's an easy approximation that's good for human type limits :

F to C -

(F-30)/2

so 70°F ~= 20°C

12. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    "The world" is actually the people that you deal with. As such I think that the transistion to metric in the UK (with a relative large exposure to "metric" countries) will be a lot more, ehm, "possible" than in the US.

The "10" factor in the metric system never looks like a big deal until you get into engineering. Even when using basic derived units (for instance to express force, pressure or torque) you run into the weirdest conversion factors - never realized how convenient metric was until I saw that.

And don't get me started on paper sizes... :rolleyes:  I really miss the DIN-A system :Curved:

13. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Oh, yeah, that's the one I use as well. And by now I know that "anywhere between 70 and 80 = good". But when you're listening to "and his fever was running 112 degrees!" I still have to whip out the calculator to figure out that yes, a 44 degree fever is a lot.

Luckily at work we have the reefer department just a few desks away so i can always get one of those handy conversion charts (and we always look for it. Running a reefer at 0C will get your products in a slightly different condition across when you meant 0F...)

14. I used to work with people who had close links with the Ford Dagenham plant who told me a story, quite possibly apochryphal or at least embellished to some extent.

Apparently, in the late 60s Ford UK & Ford Germany co-developmed a new model. Unfortunately, Ford UK worked in imperial and Ford Germany worked in metric, each converting the other's measurements to their own. When they put the pre-production cars together, they realised that this was a bit of a mistake. Just one manifestation of what had gone wrong was the gear lever gaiter which was far too small for the hole in the floorpan and as a consequence just rested on the transmission giving the occupants a great view of the road rushing by. Allegedly, some unfortunate employees were given these cars for 'testing' before they were quietly scrapped some time later.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  15. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    So what's the current situation in the UK? Still imperial, gradually switching over, not switching over at all, already there?

16. sparticat

sparticat

May 29, 2008
    Illinois
    :eek: 

I'm in need of a translation on that one.

17. reefer=refrigeration, in Jersey-speak! For the rest of old enough to remember, reefer is/was a joint/grass/cannabis.

18. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Whoops, Nick is right. In the container (or more general: transportation) industry a "reefer" is a refrigerated unit. And they run on electricity so when you put them on a truck or railcar you'll also need a "genset" (generator) that you can either hang underneath the chassis (an "underslung" genset) or hang at the front of the container (an "overslung" genset). In similar fashion the reefer capacity of a vessel is never named as such but is referred to as "plugs" (the electrical ones) - "that's a 8000T vessel with 1200 plugs"

Here's some more lingo:

The opposite of a reefer is referred to as a "dry" (as in do you have room for 60 dry's and 5 more reefers?) and a "dry reefer" is a reefer box used a regular (dry) container.

Finally, "the industry" generally measures capacity in TEU (Twenty foot Equivalent Units). But since the majority of the containers is now 40' it is sometimes also measured in FFE (Forty Foot Equivalents). But saying "Tee Ee You" and "Eff Eff Ee" is too much work, so they're generally referred to as "T's" and "F's"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.