1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

DAMRoundup: IMatch reviewed....

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Pesto126, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Hi.. following on my recent review of Photo Mechanic comes my review of IMatch. Following the discussion here with Idimager, folks might be interested in reading my review of IMatch to see how they compare. In the DAM world, power users tend to either choose Idimager or IMatch as their tools of choice... they are very different from each other while still being very similar in power, tools and ideas. Head on over and let me know what you think.... www.DAMRoundup.com.

Thx - Andy.

2. Andy,
    I read, enjoyed, and learned a lot from your reviews. Thanks. Are there ANY asset management tools on the Mac? PhotoMechanic seems like a nice product, but not sure I would categorize it as a DAM tool.
    Any tools on your horizon in the Mac space....as I haven't found one(although Lightroom and Aperture seem to be ok in the DAM-lite space).

Ted

Thanks

3. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Hi Ted.. thx for the kind words.. I'm glad the reviews are helpful to you!

The biggest issue for me is... I don't have a MAC to test them on. I do indicate which products will run natively or via parallels on the MAC - but this is based on feedback I read from users on the various product group forums. For example, Idimager will run using Parallels quite well as does ACDsee Pro 2.

I agree that PM isn't a DAM per se so that's not as helpful.

I'm trying to get my hands on a mac so I can do some reviews of iPhoto and Aperture - I really need one - but haven't brought myself to spend the $$ yet.

I will try to get to it in the near future though... of course, if you would like to write a guest review.. I'm always looking for help!

Thx again - Andy.

4. scottb

scottb Guest

On the Mac, you're pretty much limited to Microsoft Expression Media (formerly iView MediaPro) and Extensis Portfolio when it comes to true DAM apps. I'm currently using the former. The folks at Camera Bits (Photo Mechanic) are working on a database to include in PM - probably for V.5.

5. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    thx for that Info Scott.. it's good that PM is including a DB in the product - that will certainly open it up to more tools that will make it a very desirable product and worth the $$ it cost if they keep the speed of the product in tact and allow for DB searches of XMP data along with scripting... how the market keeps changing!

6. Thanks Scott, didn't know about Extensis....I'll have to look into that. Also potentially good news about Photo Mechanic....

Ted

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.