1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Damselfly, decided improvement, but I want a longer lens!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by aspiringphotos, Sep 30, 2008.

1. aspiringphotos

aspiringphotos

Sep 26, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay, I tried the tripod. The dragonflies and damselflies were not impressed with my clumsy attempt to manhandle my equipment, so I changed lenses. These were taken with the D90 kit lens, which has VR. Either I will try a 2X teleconverter or I'm saving my nickels for a 70-300 VR lens because the VR makes a very big difference for macros, IMO. I just wish I could have filled the frame. I ran out of pixels. Still, it was fun and I was excited to see what the kit lens was capable of.

2902086811_cce49869e4_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 261284

2. Looks like 'Familiar Bluet'. I think everything has vanished by me. Remember that the VR isn't really of much use with tripod. Actually most say it should be turned off but I have never found out why. The 70=300 vr is a great lens. You may also like the tamron macro 90 but you have to get pretty close.
    glenn

3. aspiringphotos

aspiringphotos

Sep 26, 2008
    Kansas

Yeah, my other macros were shot with a 70-300mm without VR, thus trying the tripod. It's just too cumbersome for me.

The good news is that the insects and flowers are soon gone, so I'll have a few months to save up for the VR lens. Or the converter. I need to find out if when a teleconverter is used with a VR lens there is still VR....I could get a 2x teleconverter for 1/2 the cost of the 300mm lens, so that may be an option for me.

Anyway, thanks for looking and helping to ID the little critter. :biggrin:

4. Remember that with a 2x converter, light reaching your sensor is cut by a factor of 4 so you lose 2 stops on your lens. For example, at f4 with a 2x converter you are actually working at f8 - your shutter speed goes from (for example) 1/500 to 1/125. Meanwhile your focal length has increased by 2x which means you should be increasing the shutter speed by 2 stops - not very useful for hand holding! Image quality is also going to decrease. By how much depends on the lens used.

A tripod is cumbersome and can be frustrating at times, but I'm happier getting few quality shots than a lot of mediocre ones! YMMV.

Happy shooting

Larry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.